• Register Today It's free!

Very expensive balancer bolt

ibdranger

Reaction score
City, State
The woods, Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport XLT
After lurking forever, I finally have a unique request.
I have my 4.0 SOHC motor on the stand and went to the Ford dealer to get a few parts. Most went well, but the use only once Harmonic Balance bolt will cost me 45 bucks after tax. They will only sell me a pack of four. Anyone have any options?
What happens if I re-use the bolt?
I'm almost 60. Is it too late to go into the Harmonic Bolt Construction business?:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have heard of the only use once crap and other than headbolts believe most it to be a bunch of hoey anyway this is the first I've heard of only being able to use a balancer bolt once. Beefy son of a gun too that bolt and to think all the motors I've reused the bolts on even several times on some application. I'm surprised they are not all dead, many are running 10 years and 100k after that fact.

And that dealer that wants to sell you four bolts ? I would have asked him what would I do with the other 3 bolts I dont need ? Throw them through your front window ? What a bunch of rubbish.

They are TTY bolts so while you could take them out and re-use them seeing as they are designed to stretch upon the initial tq sequence no matter what the wrench tells you it will never be torqued to spec again. That and you stand a pretty good chance of snapping the bolt off which would cost more than the $60.00 to have removed after the fact.

Many thanks for the replies.

I will get after the parts supplier that you have mentioned St. Rod.
For that price I will not adventure the adventure of the risk, but I tend to believe in 03Cobra's experience.
By the way SreetRod. I think I have spent a jillion hours reading your stuff over time.I have a 2dr Sport, about 117,000 miles. I have decided to do the cam chains with only a slight rattle occasionally at startup. I got it cheap a few months ago with a bad drive shaft, salvage title, and too much time on my hands.
I dunno if this sounds familiar, but I'm retired, plan on taking this buggy to my grave, and only figure to do about 3 thousand miles a year. Hopefully a lot of that will be with a small boat in tow or a wall tent and wood burner plus a rifle or too for cargo the rest of the time.
It runs pretty good but I don't want to think about the rattle for years to come. It's the dead of winter and my garage is my shop is heated for sure nuf up here in Wisconsin.

quality parts

I suggest that you purchase Ford or Cloyes timing chain parts and avoid the cheap, poor quality aftermarket components. One member recently replaced his hydraulic tensioner with a Duralast unit. It seized in the first few moments of use and caused his rear guide assembly to break. Now he has to pull the engine to replace the cassette.

One complaint about my Sport are the seats. I don't like leather (too hot in summer and too cold in winter) so have the cloth seats with very little lateral support and very poor padding. I plan to have custom padding installed with new upholstery after my V6 to V8 engine swap.

"TTY" bolts (Torque-to-Yield") are a concept to ensure the bolt remains tightened to a certain load level. What happens, is that the load on the bolt will remain essentially the same over slight length variations of the yielded bolt---- this is a good idea where the bolt is "squeezing" a compressible head gasket, whose thickness may DECREASE slightly during operation, and the bolt maintains it's same load level.

Why the hell a TTY would be used on a solidly-assembled piece of metal parts is beyond me; I would replace the damn thing with a standard bolt of the correct length and size, torqued to recommended spec for that bolt size.

Just my 2 cents........imp

Yikes!

I'm just sitting here loading the fire for the night. I was planning on using Napa's kit for the chains. I hope they are a better unit.
My wife thinks I have the answer for the leather seats, and I tend to agree. She found a good sized chunk of sheepskin--the real deal, not a synthetic--for each seat. I thought it would be way to hot, but Holy Cow. She got thicker pieces from a couple who travel the upper MidWest and are retired. They sell it after tanning or whatever they do, but it is a Miracle type cure! I was a skeptic initially. Until I sat down the first time. It has saved us recovering or replacing anything for about 35 bucks a seat. We don't anchor them or anything. They just lay there. Clean up real easy and don't look too bad neither.
I dunno what the sheep thought. Nothing is perfect I guess.

After lurking forever, I finally have a unique request.
I have my 4.0 SOHC motor on the stand and went to the Ford dealer to get a few parts. Most went well, but the use only once Harmonic Balance bolt will cost me 45 bucks after tax. They will only sell me a pack of four. Anyone have any options?
What happens if I re-use the bolt?
I'm almost 60. Is it too late to go into the Harmonic Bolt Construction business?:)

I would find a different dealership...The bolts DO ship in packs of 4 but the dealership will sell them individually...

Back