• Register Today It's free!

Temperature gauge low

fbc

Reaction score
City, State
Guadalajara, jalisco, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4WD 4.0 OHV
My temp gauge starts off below the C then works its way up to the first line. On the hottest days, I've seen it go up to about a quarter of the way.

What do you think it might be? The actual sensor? The gauge in the cluster? Are there things to help diagnose? If short the two contacts in the sensor cable should my gauge go all the way up? Will it damage something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where do I find my water temp sensor??

My guage has always been low. I think it could be bad or at least need cleaning if not replacing.

95% of the time, it's the thermostat. Either it's stuck open, thus not allowing the engine to get up to operating temp, or it's installed backwards.

The thermostats are pretty much replace once a year on 4.0L OHV

then, I'll do it anyways, as I don't know the last time it was done.

95% of the time, it's the thermostat. Either it's stuck open, thus not allowing the engine to get up to operating temp, or it's installed backwards.

if it was backwards it would overheat every time it was started,,

it will be stuck open,,

if it was backwards it would overheat every time it was started,,

it will be stuck open,,

That's not what happened to me when I accidentally installed mine backwards in my old truck. It would not get past C.

new to me old EXP, temp gauge low.. poor heat, pulled the therm, tossed it in cold water, heated it up, worked great. reinstall same thing.

replaced the therm, works great, now it's just below half way after 30mins and 50-60F outside. Great heat now.

I guess the therm was opening to quickly, like someone put in a 140-150 therm though it said 195.

Thank you all!!

Thanks to hartman, swetrid, corkey, and others.

It's now working right!!! You guys hit it right on the nose.

It wasn't on backward, it was open all the time, and didn't appear to open much more than the sliver it was already open.

Back