Is the the Throttle cable mod for the V8 only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the the Throttle cable mod for the V8 only

Waltj

Reaction score
City, State
Justin,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hello,

I was checking the mod section and I see reference to the this for the V8 but no the V6.

Is the throttle cable mod for V8's only?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your talking about the zip tie mod for a streched cable then no, its not just for a V8. I did it to my V6 SOHC and it helped alot. No more 2 inches of nothing when pressing the accelerator.
Just a tip, dont floor it while going 60. I have the 5 speed auto and when I did that it down shifted to 3rd . Needless to say the RPMs went very high, 5500ish.

Works on any 2nd gen. 1st gens too I think.

I did it to my 96 xlt 4.0, 5sp man.. As some will notice there is a spring wrapped around some plastic tube-like fitting that goes over the cable at the pedal. So the zip ties were out of the question. Improvise!!!!!! I took a hollow plastic wall anchor, (one that looks like a thin piece of licorice) not the tapered kind. I just sliced it top to bottom, pulled the cable back from the spring and slipped it over the cable. I don't agree with 50hp gain, but there is a noticable gain in power, mpg and sound from the throttle body!

Back