96 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD -- Front end/drivetrain problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD -- Front end/drivetrain problem

bonesy

Reaction score
City, State
DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0L Eddie Bauer
I am perplexed what is going on in the Exploder right now. The problem occurred while picking up people in the airport.

Initially started while on the freeway, the RPMs were running higher than normal at highway speeds. Seemingly unable to shift into the highest gear.

Then the car was parked in the waiting lot for 20 mins, followed by picking up the individuals. Seemingly no issues.

Then leaving the airport at about 45mph, there is a loud slamming noise. Initially we thought something was run over, but then like 5-10 secs later the noise occurred again. We pulled over and inspected the underside of the car and could not see any visible issues.

To get to a safer location than the freeway, we continued driving and it seemed that the noise was occurring inb/w the shift from 1st to 2nd, so we tried driving in 1st only. We could travel for 3-5 mins without a banging noise but then it would occur.

In the end, it is now sitting at a Ford dealership in the queue for inspection. But I was hoping someone could maybe share their impressions of the problem and share any insight how expensive this repair will be?

The noise is loud slamming, clunking occurring in pairs. Unrelated to engine performance since the engine seemed to be fine while in Park. It feels/sounds like it comes from under the driver seat/console. The car would drive in 1st with variable occurrence of the noise, seemed to be more frequent as speed increased. There would be a slight jolt when the noise occurred but not to noticeable.

Any thoughts or experiences with something like this? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the slamming and the higher RPM's, I'd say you have some decent transmission issues.

Received the bad news today...Internal problem with the Transfer Case.

Well the Exploder was fun while I had it :'(

Any suggestions what to do with it...? I hate to see a beautiful 5.0L only go for 200 to the recycler or 500 for trade it.

If its still in good shape, and you wouldn't mind wrenching on it for a few hours, you can change that transfercase yourself. Fairly easy job to do.
You could get a used one, search @ car-part dot com
You could also do the BW4406 swap. Not as easy for your year than in the later years due to the speedo gear issue.
OR, you could spend $20 and become an elite member and sell it here.

Yeah- trasfercases are not bad at all... I'd spend some $ to keep it up, no reason to trash the truck for the TC if that's all that's wrong with it...

Like mounty said- hit up www.car-part.com

Received the bad news today...Internal problem with the Transfer Case.

Well the Exploder was fun while I had it :'(

Any suggestions what to do with it...? I hate to see a beautiful 5.0L only go for 200 to the recycler or 500 for trade it.

Just a tcase? I'll give ya $300 cash. That'll make my 2nd $300 explorer. :)

Transfer case is nothing.

Even you pay someone to do it for you, its only a 3hr job. You could be back up and running for under 800$.

Back