Bent frame | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bent frame

So my brakes have been doing some light grinding up front so I decided I'd jack up the car and take a wheel off to give them a closer look. Well even after being under the car doing many oil changes I never noticed this until today...

IMG00235.png

IMG00236.png

IMG00237.png

So 5 years ago back in high school I remember being lost while trying to find one of my friend's house for a Christmas party. Well I failed to notice that I was in a right only turn lane trying to go straight. Unfortunately the light was green so I continued through the intersection not noticing that my lane abruptly turned into a sidewalk! I didn't quite make it into the lane and hit my passenger-front tire into the curb at maybe 30mph. After doing this I pulled over to make sure I didn't just destroy my wheel/tire. They looked to be fine, and I continued onward.
So even after alignments my car still pulls a little to the left, also my passenger front tire sticks out further from the wheel well than the driver's side tire. I really didn't think anything of it until today, when I realized my frame was bent.
So anyway I guess everything is fine except for slight alignment issues, I'm just surprised this is the first time I've known about this, and that no shops mentioned it during tire changes/repairs. (probably figured I already knew).
I'm just glad that this looks to be the only damage after running straight into a curb at 30+mph

At least the brakes/rotors look fine!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

join the club.

I've seen other posts with the same thing. Not sure if it would be affecting your alignment though. Well, in your case it certainly looks like it could be the cause.

PDRM0564a.jpg

PDRM0563a.jpg

PDRM0561a.jpg

PDRM0557a.jpg

My crossmember looks like this as well, though it doesn't seem to have affected my alignment. Does anyone know of a good way to protect this vulnerable part from being damaged further?

My crossmember looks like this as well, though it doesn't seem to have affected my alignment. Does anyone know of a good way to protect this vulnerable part from being damaged further?

Yeah. Do what I did and just cut it off. :p:

If I had the resources for a solid axle swap, I'd already be working on that part. I think that of all the people I know, I'm the most knowledgeable about cars, and that's not saying much!

If the crossmember gets destroyed beyond repair, I'll probably have to pay an offroad fabrication shop to help me with a SAS.

thats no good

go to a collision shop. It was $450 to get both frame rails pulled straight and get the holes for my hitch fixed.

ahhh your stilll good.;)

This is what mine looked like before I cut it off for the SAS:D

12287bad2.jpg

Back