EGR pipe 2002 4.6l V8 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR pipe 2002 4.6l V8 Mountaineer

lrm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
2002 Mountaineer 4.6 l V8.
Does anyone know where a drawing is showing the EGR pipe that comes up behind the engine next to the firewall ? I fear I ruined it replacing my manifold by pulling it up out of the way. When I test drove it the outer heat shield which is some kind of cloth weave was smoking (burning) when I got back which can't be good.

To be clear this is the big pipe that threads on to the bottom of the EGR valve mounted on the drivers side of the throttle body. It comes up from the firewall and originates underneath the car. I may have bent it underneath somewhere but it didn't seem to move much when I was pulling on it. I drew a pic but can't upload it, I need a url. Here's a picture of the EGR valve-
EGRValve Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did some more research tonight, cleaned the MAF, the springs in the coils, made sure the injectors were tightly seated, checked all the hose connections to make sure they were tightly connected. The EGR pipe seems to be fine, I had it running for a long time and no problems (with the EGR pipe overheating). I have no idea what caused it. The engine is running rough, definitely missing on one cylinder. The only code I got was lean condition on bank 1, P0171 which could be a vacuum problem, I cleared the codes and was hoping to see a new code appear but no such luck. It stayed clear until I let it sit for a while before starting it. I don't have a reader so it will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm going to price new coils and be ready if there's any codes indicating they should be replaced.
So I will update when I know more. If anyone has anything to chime in on feel free.

P0171 - lower intake manifold leak

Further researching it - Possible the intake manifold isn't torqued on correctly, lower intake manifold leak. Also possibly something on the manifold itself that isn't sealed correctly causing the leak. I've read other reviews of the dorman intake manifold on here and it's been trouble free so I'm going to re torque the manifold bolts and see if I missed something when installing it.

Coils go bad often. I'm buying a set right now, and have confirnmed & replaced one already. Confirmed by swapping from #7 to positin #5 & misfired code followed. I don't think a lean condition would be a coil though. Vacuum leak at manifold would be most likely.

Last night after letting it run a while with the new manifold I checked all the manifold bolts and they needed to be tightened. Went all the way around, got every one, then did a spot check of a few spark plug holes to see if any had oil in them. Found one that was bad and doused a little solvent in there and sucked it out with the shop vac. I got the new codes out and it was P0201 and P0208, injector circuit malfunction cylinders 1 and 8. Also lean condition code on both banks. Went around to each injector and reseated the connections, and cyl 1 and 8 were loose. Now all 8 are firing and it's running smooth.

Maybe this post will help someone out sometime, I know I search this board all the time and it helps me a great deal. Thanks everyone for the excellent online resource. Now that it's repaired, fresh anti freeze, oil/filter, new serpentine belt, manifold, and plugs. Now I can comfortably sell it or trade it in. Time for a new vehicle.

Back