99 4WD rear end swap to 01 with open diff? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 4WD rear end swap to 01 with open diff?

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 V6 SOHC SPORT 2DR
is this possible will the gears match in the pumpkin and does the 99 have a LSD in the back? how complicted is this and can it be done and will it work? i want to overcome my open differentials lack of grip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this possible will the gears match in the pumpkin and does the 99 have a LSD in the back? how complicted is this and can it be done and will it work? i want to overcome my open differentials lack of grip

ANYTHING can be done.....Easy, this one, no. If you're saying you have located an '01 rear differential with Limited Slip, and you can determine several things regarding this diff. vs. your '99:
1. Are the "guts" interchangeable? I think yes, since both are adaptations of Ford 8.8" diff. BUT, will solid axle shafts FIT differential side gears of '01 unit? That I do not know.
2. You need quite a good deal of experience working with hypoid gearing to do such a swap. Whether you use your ring & pinion, or the newer '01, clearances and bearing preloads, as well as correct gear mesh must be established.
3. Easiest way here, probably to find a wrecked '99 with limited slip, tear out the entire rear axle assembly, and replace yours with it. Check that gear ratio is correct before starting, though. imp

I'm with Imp on this one!

find an axle with your gear ratio and change the whole unit. this way you can always sell your axle in the end. jeep guys are always looking for exploder axles

yeah ok, see i wrecked my 99 and now i have an 01, but the back axle and everything is in fine shape. i was hoping it would be a direct unbolt and bolt on swap, just disconecting the brake lines, driveshaft, and U bolts, i know next to nothing about the gears back there how would i find out if the gears match? can i google that with reliable results?

the door tag should tell you the gear ratio in the truck. if not there should be a tag on the rear pumkin cover that has the gear ratio on it.

I'm with Imp on this one!.....

Well.......I'm wrong so often, ya' got me wonderin' if this was the ONLY time you were with me!......:D imp

BTW, I never knew jeep guys were after our Expl. axles......to get rid of those undersized Dana's Jeep used (uses?)? Idn't the track width much wider on Expl's than Jeeps? Can't deny the 8.8 Ford is one strong unit, I still like 9-inchers better!.......:thumbsup:

Well.......I'm wrong so often, ya' got me wonderin' if this was the ONLY time you were with me!......:D imp

BTW, I never knew jeep guys were after our Expl. axles......to get rid of those undersized Dana's Jeep used (uses?)? Idn't the track width much wider on Expl's than Jeeps? Can't deny the 8.8 Ford is one strong unit, I still like 9-inchers better!.......:thumbsup:

i know jeep was using dana 35's in the rear (cuz they were blowing up all over youtube lol) but jeep has started using dana 44's especially after introducing the 4 door cuz it weighed more. but idk if its all jeeps or just certain models that get the 44

Is the 8.8 comparable to the 44. I have a 2000 xlt 3.73 w/ LSD that I'm wanting to replace with a lower mileage unit. I also have a '88 YJ that I was looking to put a 44 on. Curious if you know off hand b/c I possibly just saved a step.

Is the 8.8 comparable to the 44. I have a 2000 xlt 3.73 w/ LSD that I'm wanting to replace with a lower mileage unit. I also have a '88 YJ that I was looking to put a 44 on. Curious if you know off hand b/c I possibly just saved a step.

im not exactly sure how the two compare but i do know that some of the jeep guys throw in the 44 after destroying the 35 and some throw in the 8.8

The 99 and 01 are the same housings. To replace an entire housing because you want a limited slip doesn't really make any sense at all. Buy a limited slip carrier and have it installed in your current housing. Ford 8.8 Trac Locks have a tendacy to wear. You won't know it's worn unless you hit the gas and one wheel is spinning again. It's not as difficult as everyone is making it out to be.

8.8 vs. Dana 44

Dana's 44 is venerable. My Dad's '55 Mercury had a 44! It's strong, in a jeep, but not quite good enough for an SUV like Explorer, IMO.

8.8 is stronger, uses a different type of axle bearing: straight roller bearing instead of ball bearings. The carrier itself is stouter, and the axle tubes are larger in diameter (therefore stronger) than the 44. This fact is important due to the bending moment imposed on the tubes by the springs being located not in line with (almost impossible to do) the bearings.

One other difference is the fact that 8.8 retains the axles in place using "C-clips" inside the differential cavity, rather than by the press-fit of the bearings and retainers on the 44. OTOH, kits are being sold to eliminate the C-clips; I don't recommend them.

In a Jeep, except for maybe the biggest, heaviest Jeeps made lately, either axle is adequate, certainly.

Just my opinion.........imp

Thanks everyone. Just was curious if they were sized similar. I guess I could elaborate more. My X has 191K and a horrible drive trane noise. Changed rear wheel bearings but it's still there. If it does not disappear with front diff and transfer case rebuild, then it might be that rear pinion bearing. I was going to find a new assembly at a salvage yard with lower miles. Then I figure I'd give the jeep this 8.8 rebuilt. I inherited the jeep with 31's and stock gearing which I'm not + what ratio. I drove it from CA going slow up the mountains in 3rd gear. It's an old jeep but not that old. Of course I have more ambition right now than money, but we'll see what happens.

Back