My 99 behind swap!!

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
so i finally got around to doing my 2nd gen axle swap into my 92.its out of a 99 explorer.im putting 4.88 yukon gears,timken bearing and R1 brakes into it,all new.im also swaping out the MC to a 95 with NO ABS and NO proportioning valve and putting pro comp springs in.i sandblasted and coated it with truck bed liner and the sprayed it with the same colors as my motor!!on to the pics,witch do it NO justice!!any questions just ask and MANY THANKS to Boomin as he helped alot with this swap!!!!
out with old!!
2445pnk.jpg

yes its snowing wile im doing this and 27* without wind chill!!!!
2rrtnbl.jpg

2ekoqo3.jpg

in with the new
30mpd6q.jpg

this is how i got the paint to dry,army cover and a heater for 3 hours!!!
2cn602.jpg

28jxzx1.jpg

11tosad.jpg

vd0lxl.jpg

20gb9dd.jpg

2exscu8.jpg

2hzirzl.jpg

2zzri8g.jpg

meaty
2ewnvhx.jpg

and how i did the brake line,i extended it 8" and hook it to a spring,under full droop it wouldnt fit
vf1nq.jpg

ill post a final pattern when i get it all the way set up and a pic of it in the truck!!:D:D:burnout::burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lookin nice!!

You got any spring parts left over that will help get my rear end off the ground another 1-1/2" ??? :D

all i got are the stock springs and they look like a S!!! throw the pro comp aal in there.they are cheap and easy to do,i think im going to gain dang 4 or so inches with these springs,mine where REALLY bad!!it looks stunning in the sunlight!!! cant wait to get it in and try out those 4.88 or hell just to have rear brakes again will rock.i all so bypassed my rabs

woohoo rear brakes!! hahah

I've got the procomp short aal in there now.. but I still need another inch or two to mach my front end :/

They don't sell the long style anymore, summit has them listen, but they've been discontinued ARGH!!

one question though,where can i get an extended brake line for a 99,the one that goes to the frame to the drivers side block??it looks very short and may snap under flex

I think it's the late 90's F250 or F350 lines work..? may need to check up on that.
EDIT- 99-07

woohoo rear brakes!! hahah

I've got the procomp short aal in there now.. but I still need another inch or two to mach my front end :/

They don't sell the long style anymore, summit has them listen, but they've been discontinued ARGH!!

i havent had rear brakes for over a year and just to seal the deal me and my buddy was racing one night and i left the ebrake on,i won but damn when we got to the store they where RED hot and smelled wayyyyy bad!!!yea thats the one i put in there also.shackles?

I used the Autozone shackles, drilled them out and used the stock bolts.. destroyed them my first time in the mud :(

I can't justify almost $80 for Warrior Shackles though..

Sounds like its time for a lift then

hahah, I'm doing my best on tracking down a Superlift for the IFS.. so I can go SOA! :p

Just pull that aal out and go ahead and do the soa.it wont be that bad with bad springs.plus the rake wont look that bad till you can do the front,then add the aal back in

Was considering taking out the aal and 1 long leaf, leaving 1 long, 1 short and the overload.. I might just..

NEED 2 GET MAH INJEN FEENISHED!! lol

Hahah yea this was a 2 day project till i couldnt find anything to fit over the pinion so i could press the bearings on,that was a week ago!!

Wow 70 views and only one person commenting! ! Anyone else know about the break line question or have any comments? !

Hey Brandon you should be able to handle making a set of shackles like I did. Its pretty simple. All you need is a angle grinder and a drill.

All you need is a piece of 3/8 thick flat stock about 4 feet long and it will be enough to make a set of shackles. You can get a piece that works perfect at Lowes.

^thanks :)

Wow 70 views and only one person commenting! ! Anyone else know about the break line question or have any comments? !

Get a rear brake line hose from a mid 90's Dodge Caravan to extend the rear line. It'll fit between your existing hose and hard line with a male union adapter.
There's a 9" or 16" hose ABS or non ABS part.

ok got a pretty close to final pattern let me know what you all think,i think one side looks good and the other i dont think i can get it any close without messing up the other side.
33yosj4.jpg

15nvber.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe a hair too much on the pinion shim. It's not too bad though. Whats the b/l?

Back