• Register Today It's free!

Type of stereo in 96 XLT?

Elk_hunter

Reaction score
City, State
champaign,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
This is my only 2nd post to this message board. I have looked around and didnt' find this so I thought I might ask it here.

How can you tell what type of stereo system is on my explorer? I bought this in 96 new, and I can't remember what is is. My xlt is fully loaded . and you can control the stereo from the back seat.

Can I tell on the stereo somehow? or can I get it from the Vin # somehow?

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board! In an XLT, I'm sure you have the Ford Premium Sound System. Does it have a factory subwoofer in the back where the storage area is? If so, then you have the Ford/JBL System. Also, if you have the JBL system, you'll have the power antanna. Hope this helps.

'96 Explorer Cassette Radios

There were three levels of AM/FM/Cassette radios offered in 1996 Explorers:

The top of the line was the "Audiophile" cassette used in the Ford/JBL system. You can tell it by the pop-out B/T/B/F controls beneath the display. It will also have an "Autoset" button, and a button labeled "DSP" to the right of the display.
The base part number for this radio is -18C852-; this is the "distributed radio" system, with a remote tuner/amp (4x15W), and a separate SW amp (1x85W).

The next radio was the "Premium Cassette", it will have the "Autoset" button, but no button for DSP, and does not have the pop-out controls, either. This radio has a base part number -19B165-, and has an external (4x20W) amp.

The base radio was the "Midline" cassette. It will not have an Autoset button. Otherwise, it looks pretty much like the Premium Cassette. The base part number for this model is -19B132-. This radio has internal (4x6W) amplification.

Regards,

cobrajeff

hey cobrajeff, I have a 96' EX XLT with the sad midline . Any suggestions as to aftermarket easy fit cd player or tuner with SD card capability?

divizio-

I haven't seen Jeff online in 6months+ so figured I'd chime in...

Might check out my thread here for some pre-install info.

As for what deck, I've always run Pioneer decks, and after about 20 years of such without any problems, I would suggest those, but there are lots of aftermarket people online that might have better info for you on SD capability. Are you looking SD or USB?

The Pioneer DEH-P4100SD seems decent for the pricepoint- $130-$160 online...
Review below...

Back