• Register Today It's free!

Snow plowing?

raylesk

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Bronco II
I want to pickup an explorer sport to put a small plow on--can I get some advice on wether I should get a first gen or 2nd gen explorer? Which one do you guys think has a stronger front end setup to carry an extra
450#s? I currently have a 94 4dr I use as a daily driver and it seems easier to find a nice 2nd gen than a nice 1st gen sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This question always comes up every year.. The V6 Explorer cannot handle a snow plow. The auto transmission will not hold up.. It will implode on itself from the added weight.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about the trans because it will be a backup truck "just in case" so it might not ever see plowing. And I also have a spare trans waiting. Which front end and frame do you think is stronger?

I'd think the first gen suspension/design is stouter than the 2nd gen. and more suited to a plow. The lifespan of a plow truck is usually related to how aggressively you plow. Call a plow/hitch place and ask them if any Explorer is even rated to carry a plow of any type.

Why not get a truck if it's just for plowing only? You can get 80's and early 90's full sizes for a song these days.

Thanks for the answer Steve--that is what I was thinking--I have 2 full size broncos a 90 and a 94 one I use for parking lots and the other is for driveways. I want to have the explorer as a backup to be used only in an emergency--I have contracts that I am responsible for and can't afford to not get the job done on time.

This question always comes up every year.. The V6 Explorer cannot handle a snow plow. The auto transmission will not hold up.. It will implode on itself from the added weight.

negitive. i have a Western Pro gaurd 7.5' on my 99 mountineer SOHC 6 and its been going strong for 2 years. 175k miles and counting

I plowed for years with a 1991 2 door explorer V6 4X4... It was a great plow.. I had a fisher 6.5' Minute Mount II on it. Total weight was around 450 Lbs.. I would go with the older generation explorer as they have been lightened over the years.. Older = tougher.... Just my 2 cents.

I would go with the older generation explorer as they have been lightened over the years.. Older = tougher.... Just my 2 cents.

The original post is almost 2 years old - I don't think the OP is still following the threda. :scratch:

It is still helpful to others who search. My dad had a plow on his 00XLT 4.0 SOHC Auto explorer and did great pushing, and plan to put one on one of my explorer's too.

Anyone have pics of the plow mounts on a 1st gen Ex? I want to modify the mount from my '90 BII to fit a '91 Ex frame and would like to see a factory set up if possible. Thanks.

BTW, here's the plow on my BII...
1562735167_c8db6b2226.jpg

And here's the '91 frame it's going on...
5368400296_59c4f0a12e.jpg

Back