Seat Replacement

ov10fac

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bower
Hi all,

I have a 1996 Eddie Bower Explorer. The leather on the dirvers seat is in serious need of repair. I have priced replacement kits and they are pretty expensive. I have checked on used and have found almost all have similar if not as serious problems (small rips and tears). What I was wondering is can a passenger's side seat be disassembled and just the seat portion be used as a replacement? I know the frames are different, but can the seat cushion be removed and replaced?

I have found a few passenger side seats that are in pretty good shape.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to your local auto upholstery shop. I had my drivers seat recovered in leather for $300 bucks. He even upgraded the foam inside. It's like I got a barnd new seat.
He also did my arm rest. Was the best $$$ I ever spent on the truck.

No, the cutouts for the controls are on the wrong side (they come through the cushion), as well as the side materials being different.

Ok,

Many thanks for the information. I will for sure check out the upholstery shop. I was afraid the seats would be different. It doesn't surprise me however.

Again, many thanks for the help on this.

Sho 'nuff! :)

You could check out ebay uk and look at some pictures of our seat shapes and see if they match yours. If they do then pm chrisquelch and see if he has a seat (passenger side in the uk) that he can strip down to the base cushion and see how much to ship to the US. As it is the passenger side over here it will be in good condition.
Chris sells parts from explorers he dismantles so always has stuff, it's just how much the shipping would be!??!

Holy CRAP that's a a good idea... :thumbsup:

That idea gets 4 Chocodiles!

ChocodileSmall.jpg
ChocodileSmall.jpg
ChocodileSmall.jpg
ChocodileSmall.jpg

I second that. I would never have thought about looking in England. What a truly great idea. Many thanks.

All you would have to do is pull the cover off, cut the holes, then fit it back on or use your old foam, etc... Excellent idea. Someone needs to be in management... :D

All you would have to do is pull the cover off, cut the holes, then fit it back on or use your old foam, etc... Excellent idea. Someone needs to be in management... :D

Tried that, too much stress so now i drive a heavy goods vehicle for a living. Just me and the radio for company, ah the good life!!

Hey- there is plenty to say for that... When they get annoying, turn the radio off too. :D

i remember mustangs have recover kits...why doesnt explorers?

someone needs to market this cheaply...

mustangs were like $100 and fairly easy to do

My X's driver side seat is in poor condition, too. The left-hand bottom bolster is shredded like cheddar.

Metal frame parts are visible. :-/

Typical for Ford leather of a "certain" vintage. It just doesn't hold up well to daily use.

I'm going to talk with a local trim shop this spring. See what they can do. Maybe get it close to match in a heavy vinyl, rather than the $pendy leather.

dont do it IMO...It will crack...

Well, the leather didn't seem to hold up much better.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of MBZ MB-Tex. Holds up VERY well, and near indistinguishable from real leather.

The bolster needs a lot of padding too. There seems to be a burr-edge on that bolster's metal frame that just cut right into the padding, and eventually the leather.

A buddy had his '84 SVO bolsters recovered in the heavy vinyl, and while it wasn't a 100% match, it looked really good, and was 1/2 the cost of repairing in leather.

Back