2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL: DD/Tow Rig | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL: DD/Tow Rig

Road Trip Again = Almost Disaster

This weekend we took a little road trip to GA to pick up a car for a friend. We mad around a 700 mile trip and only had one hang up.....

Yeah this picture means the truck is not running at all. No power anywhere!!! How about that for being 300 miles away from home. :)

f250-no-power.jpg

After a few mins and some great luck we found that on the drivers side behind the air box we found a power wire that had lost all contact. The main power wire has a break in it which is connected to a bolt block. Two connectors bolted down. Seems good right.....NO....Mine broke off on both sides.

Here is the fix: Two zip ties, one phillips, and half of a battery cable terminal.

F250-Broke-Wire.jpg

Had to make some MacGyver repairs but it got the job done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We were very lucky to have the tools and to stumble upon it right away. So not to bad.

I need to find a way to add cruse control onto the truck. That is the one feature that I really want. You dont miss it until you dont have it. This is my next project over the next few weeks. So if you got any ideas let me know

If you are into pulling the air bag off the steering wheel i would put in a factory setup. Most newer trucks are prewired for cruise it is just not installed. I would go to a jy look at stock setups and see if you can fit it to your truck.

My 03 ranger is that way and I didn't realize it until I had an aftermarket one installed.

Im really looking at going the after market route. I dont want to mess with the airbags if I do not have to.

The problem i am seeing right now is finding one to fit a diesel

Look for one that uses an electric servo and can read a vss. Otherwise you need manifold vaccum or pump and a driveshaft sensor.

~Mark

So far no one recommends the uses of these on my truck. Ill do some more digging tonight and if not ill have to get the JY one which will be fine but Ill just have to be careful with the airbags.

Gasser cruise controls use a mechanical linkage to control the throttle. This would be possible with pre-powerstroke diesels since they use a mechanical injection pump. Powerstrokes are drive by wire with no throttle or fuel injection pump to control. This rules out all mechanical controls unless you just move the skinny pedal. The cruise would have to be programmed to work with the PCM or act like the potentiometer in the pedal.

Stock might be the only option...

I have not had the time to deal with finding a stock cruise consroll set up yet but it does look that it is the only option.

The purpose for this post is to say that when I run diesel kleen I actually get worse mileage. I did not run it the last two tanks and it has been better by about 1 mpg. Whats up with that?

Here is the fix: Two zip ties, one phillips, and half of a battery cable terminal.

F250-Broke-Wire.jpg

Had to make some MacGyver repairs but it got the job done.

Got this situation fixed now. I must say that for as long as it was rigged up it worked better than factory. It now has a jumper cable in between that comes off for working access.

Just made 18.5 mpg on the last tank.....only spent 92 bucks filling up lol

Wanna trade trucks and Fuel Bills ? :D lol

No you can keep yours. I promise I am good.

Well guys I have found a problem with the truck......

I am going to just replace the rear axle.

It has had a rotational nosie in it and we tracked it down to the left rear wheel bearings. Just spent 120 bucks putting new bearings and seals in but it did not fix the entire issue. There is now just a faint noise that is coming from the carrier/pinion area.

I want to convert to a dual wheel set up but need to do some investigation. If you have any ideas please let me know.

DO you have a full floater? If not, that would be my suggestion for an upgrade. Even better, even though I know some would think its wack, is a 14-bolt full floater since it also has a third-pinion bearing to support the front of the pinion gear - which would pretty much eliminate any pinion deflection and therefore also eliminate pinion noise (assuming its set up properly).

Yes it is a full floating axle. (As in understand the term)

I have been looking into either doing bearings or a "new" axle.

Major PROBLEMS

Guys I need your help very badly. I have to figure out what is wrong with my F-250 before it gets worse.

We moved to Memphis back in August and have not had any problems out of the truck other than a blown tire and the power cable problem. Now the truck seems to be starving for fuel. It will loose all power and the engine will shut off. It goes dead completely but will restart afterwards. Shows the check engine light but then goes off after the restart. Has no codes on the computer or at least AutoZone said it did not. Sometime it will not shut down completely but will have a sudden drop in Rpms and start running very rough.

What do you Diesel guys think is going on?

Im afraid of the fuel pump because I no longer hear it when the key is turned forward like I would before. Im not sure what direction to take here because this is my first diesel.

Thanks
Burns

I would check fuel pressure at idle and if you can under load. Also weren't the cam position sensors sometimes finicky on the 7.3s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah definitely check fuel pressure. As for the sensor, its usually the CPS and there's the whole debate about which one go go wit (blue, gray, black, etc..).

Back