the new guy with the new guy questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the new guy with the new guy questions

mustangfu

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
For introduction's sake, my name is Will. I posted on the new member board, but realized my questions should probably be left to the tech sections lol. I'm looking to pick this up on Friday:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/2178550486.html

I was hoping to get some advice. Through the VIN, the engine code is E so I believe that is the 4.0 SOHC v6. Any common issues as far as the motor is concerned? Are all the SOHC mated to a 5-speed auto?

For history of the vehicle, the dealership purchased the truck from the original owner (an older man) who kept it in the garage for most of it's life, and they swear up and down the back has never even been sat in before. I don't know what all recalls are on the truck, much less what they did to it when they got it in, but it seems pretty sound mechanical condition (I'll look at it in a more detailed manner on Friday in the daylight).

Anyway, any advice and camaraderie is much appreciated, as I don't like going into a car purchase unarmed and uneducated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vin decoder link - I don't think the sohc was available in 96:
Dead Link Removed

Link doesnt work.

well, it's a 99 so I guess that's okay lol.

replaced the link, try that one?

every one that ive ever seen is. the upper and lower intake gaskets. how many miles are on it?

Any common issues as far as the motor is concerned?

Ask them if the timing chain has been worked on and if you hear a rattle from the engine when running you'll know why they're selling it. Read through the results of this: Link
Particularly the third link down for a great deal of background on the issue.

There are a few other issues that come up but that's the major one in addition to intake gaskets which seem to show up as hesitation under load around 40-50mph. Particularly during the winter when greater thermal contraction exacerbates the failing seal.

Edit:
They should also knock at least $500 off that price. Are you willing to do some in depth maintenance work? If you go in aware of the problems mentioned above you can get them to either knock a good deal off the price and fix them yourself. Or sweeten the deal by fixing the issues before a sale.

I was hoping as a Ford dealership they would be aware of major issues and have them addressed, but I dunno lol. I'll ask about the timing chain and intake gaskets first thing. Would those really be issues on an easy 92k miles though? I'm bringing a $4500 check whatever they do, already set aside for the occasion of buying.

I was hoping as a Ford dealership they would be aware of major issues and have them addressed, but I dunno lol. I'll ask about the timing chain and intake gaskets first thing. Would those really be issues on an easy 92k miles though? I'm bringing a $4500 check whatever they do, already set aside for the occasion of buying.

My friend had to replace the timing chains on his SOHC at 72K.

Be sure to have the thermostat housing inspected for leakage. You may want to have a pressure test done on the coolant system. This will also indicate any possible head gasket issues.

Dear Lord is there a year/model of Explorer that's not infamous for something wrong? lol I love Ford but my experience with them has just been Mustangs, which I've never had one problem from. I want a small-ish SUV like the Explorer sport or maybe even a 2nd gen 4-door that will last me about a year without much hassle for my wife while I go to boot camp, MCT, and MOS training.

I was hoping as a Ford dealership they would be aware of major issues and have them addressed

Never take something like that for granted. Unless you like parting ways with money quickly.

I'm bringing a $4500 check whatever they do, already set aside for the occasion of buying.

No reason to hurry. Talk them down a bit. Come back another day and bargain some more. Asking price for my vehicle was knocked down by $2000 because nobody was grabbing it up.

Dear Lord is there a year/model of Explorer that's not infamous for something wrong?.

Second generation 302 V8's with the 4R70W transmission are very reliable. Only consistent problem with them are radiator and front driveshaft failures.

Dear Lord is there a year/model of Explorer that's not infamous for something wrong? lol I love Ford but my experience with them has just been Mustangs, which I've never had one problem from. I want a small-ish SUV like the Explorer sport or maybe even a 2nd gen 4-door that will last me about a year without much hassle for my wife while I go to boot camp, MCT, and MOS training.

Like others said look for a v8 - 4r70w. Sort of similar to a mustang/thunderbird drivetrain (newer 95+ trans older 5.0L 95-engine). Then there are just the suspension wear issues which you can easily check out. Next best would be an OHV V6, they have some issues with heads cracking but its fixable and not that common.

Stay away from the v6 SOHC unless all the chains/tensioners (rear ones too) were replaced(documented). I don't care who you are buying it from. I know an independent dealer here that wont sell them, he had 2 come back in 30 days and had to fix it at his expense. If the rear tensioner has to be replaced you have to pull the engine .

The 5 speed trans in the 97+ v6 have little issues too that you have to be careful of.

A bumper mounted hitch ball does not a towing package make.

Transmission !

My '99 4.0 SOHC with a 5r55e transmission ONLY goes froward ( no reverse !) Ask if any trans work has been done. Also, ask how long the engine, trans are warrantied for. Good luck ! BN
( Mine is a Sport and I love it, but they can have problems :-0 )

Get warranty length etc. written IN PEN on the sales receipt ! BN

Back