Steering Wheel Recondition/Replace Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Recondition/Replace Options

EScottH

Reaction score
City, State
SW Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
OK. Let's add to my ever-growing list of requests of the group...

As I know is common, the steering wheel on my 1991 4WD Explorer Eddie Bauer w/ cruise control is deteriorated.

What are the options? The ones I have found in the junkyards suffer from the same problem I have... they are 20 years old. Buying an OEM from Ford will, I am sure, be cost-prohibitive. Is there anyplace that sells something aftermarket that retains full manufacturer functionality but still looks good? Are there any reconditioning options out there?

Looking forward to the discussion.

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would love to know my self.

I believe there are two types of wheels on the first gens. My 93 has the leather wrapped wheel, which was an option. My 94 has a non-leather wheel that is made of what I think is hard rubber.

So, you can look for one of those wheels... I'm not sure which ones had it, probably basic models as my 94 has no options at all. They seem to be really durable and I can't see any wear on mine at all despite 167K miles. The hard rubber has nubs molded into the backside to make your fingers grab it better. It's comfortable.

Or, if you have the leather wrapped wheel... my 93's wheel leather was worn so I took an x-acto knife and slit the stitches on it. Peeled all the leather off which took only a couple minutes, and used WD-40 to remove all the adhesive remains. I'm left with a hard plastic surface which I really don't mind... it's not quite as thick around as the 94's wheel. The leather was maybe 3/32" thick with the adhesive padding. It does not have the nubs for your fingers molded into the backside so it's a little more slick, but it looks fine and works well enough. I prefer the 94 wheel but it's better than the nasty worn out leather it had.

Hope this helps.

I believe I have the leather wrapped wheel, but I would take the vinyl. I'm not picky. The problem is that all the padding under the wrap is messed up and it is what I would like to fix.

When I get home tomorrow from work I will take a pic and post it to show what I mean.

I have the hard rubber one with CC. I would love to change it over to a custom some way but I also want to keep the CC. My wheel is shinny and smooth as all get out but no hard wear spots or sun damage as of yet. any one change one to a custom and keep there CC some how?

I've used leather Wheelskins with great results on a couple of vehicles.

Takes a little time to install, but with just a bit of patience, it gives a VERY nice feel, and makes the grip a bit beefier as well (a good thing, imo).

I took some duck tape and wrapped the areas where the OEM covers were badly deteriorated, and wrapped that rascal.

Hi folks, just wanted to revive this discussion because it's an issue with my explorer as well. My car has the leather wrapped wheel, and it's collapsed on the top.

I see a bunch of steering wheels on e-bay that are labeled as "Hard Grip" (solid vinyl, rather than padded leather) that might be a good replacement option, but I'm not sure of compatibility. Like this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5574912417&icep_item=233732006850

Does anyone know if I can use a non-cruise steering wheel with a cruise control horn pad?

cc
non cc
ranger wheel

Only big difference I see as far as mounting it that the cc version here uses a nylon retainer at the top. Looks like it will work, can't guarantee though. I would suggest just finding a wheel with cc already though.

Also, if you are planning on replacing the wheel anyway, maybe cut away the existing messed up leather to see if whatever is underneath appeals to you. I can't find any images of leather versions with it removed, so I don't know what to expect.

I have a 91 leather wrapped wheel in good condition that I removed from my parts vehicle i parted out.
I'll grab some pictures later, and double check condition. I'd be willing to send it on the cheap.

I have a 91 leather wrapped wheel in good condition that I removed from my parts vehicle i parted out.
I'll grab some pictures later, and double check condition. I'd be willing to send it on the cheap.

I'd be open to that! share some pictures when you can. If I'm buying a replacement, i'd be looking for one that doesn't have any degradation of the foam/filler that causes the leather to go slack and start "twisting" around the wheel.

You should also be able to use another Ford truck wheel prior to 1995 models. I've got a late 80's Bronco/Ranger steering wheel to go onto my old 93 Limited column. If the horn and CC electrical contacts are the same behind the wheel, they should be able to swap.

I'd be open to that! share some pictures when you can. If I'm buying a replacement, i'd be looking for one that doesn't have any degradation of the foam/filler that causes the leather to go slack and start "twisting" around the wheel.
Welp I just went and took a look
It's not in as good of condition as I thought
Seems all the filter or foam filler you talk about is gone in this one on the top half
I apologise for my poor memory
It was 6 months ago when I last laid eyes on the thing

89-94 Ranger steering wheels will work, full size truck ones will NOT. Any Ranger/B2/Explorer wheel within those years will work regardless if it had cruise or not - cruise is all contained in the horn pad.

You can get adapters for Grant steering wheels and probably other aftermarket ones too although none that I have seen have had cruise buttons.

Options are pretty limited outside of OEM steering wheels.

I have a mint cruise horn pad somewhere in my stockpile.

PM me if anybody is interested...

Back