• Register Today It's free!

External Air Temperature Sensor

fishugo

Reaction score
City, State
NE USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Last winter after registering accurately -40 F in the Adirondacks, my outside temperature readout has gone into serious denial and wants to tell me the outdoor temperature is in the 50's no matter what time of year.

Is there any way to reset this thing? Does anybody know the real name of the sender mounted in front of the radiator?

Here in New England it is useful to know the outdoor temp so you can be aware of black ice and that sort of stuff. So if it can't be reset, maybe I could replace it if I had a part ID or number. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

btexpress

Nice to see a tech posting in here again! Welcome aboard to you too.

thanks sleb -- have been fishing around for this part ID and # for some time

fishugo

bump

I have an 02 explorer that reads from 99 - 102 all the time. Does it sound like an sensor error or a ground problem?

Where is the sensor located? How hard is it to change?

ok, I found the senser... behind the front grill... remove grill and it is right there... sweet

part #19E702 -- Ambient temperature sensor

Looking to replace mine, I live in the UK, so I had have my father swing by the local dealership and this part number didn't come up.

I would have figured they could look up a solution at the dealership and they sent my dad away with no info...

Looking to replace mine, I live in the UK, so I had have my father swing by the local dealership and this part number didn't come up.

I would have figured they could look up a solution at the dealership and they sent my dad away with no info...

Try going to www.silverstatefordparts.com and looking it up.

ALrighty...I got the part....anyone have a pic on where it might be located on the grill? Or some detail on how to get at it....besides the above post?

ALrighty...I got the part....anyone have a pic on where it might be located on the grill? Or some detail on how to get at it....besides the above post?

If you remove the grille, check for the screws on top, it should be on the passenger side.

I will take some pics tomorrow and post up. Too late to do it now.

forcemac, did you get it installed? I should have some pics up in about an hour! Sorry for the delay. The thread got buried and I just remembered that I was supposed to post up some pics.

Not yet....schedule has been hectic and there still isn't much day light yet in the UK.....I don't have a garage to work in or a very good well lit place....I had to work this whole weekend so it kinda shot my plans

Not yet....schedule has been hectic and there still isn't much day light yet in the UK.....I don't have a garage to work in or a very good well lit place....I had to work this whole weekend so it kinda shot my plans

Putting together a how to on replacing it. I will be sure to include the link when it's finished.

Good write up - thank you! Mine is screwy also - it usually displays "--", but today it actually displayed 140. Since it's early February in Chicago, I realize that was false. I am finding conflicting part numbers though. Where do you guys recommend getting it from? Besides the ford dealer because I REALLY don't like going through dealers. Here's a link I found with three different choices on it, but which is correct?

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/2004-ford-explorer/ambient-temperature-sensor/

Good write up - thank you! Mine is screwy also - it usually displays "--", but today it actually displayed 140. Since it's early February in Chicago, I realize that was false. I am finding conflicting part numbers though. Where do you guys recommend getting it from? Besides the ford dealer because I REALLY don't like going through dealers. Here are a couple links I found that say they are both the ambient temp sensor for an 04 explorer, but they replace different oem parts. Interesting...

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/2004-ford-expedition/ambient-temperature-sensor/

http://www.##################.com/details/QQFordQQExplorerQQMotorcraftQQAmbient_Temperature_SensorQQ2004QQMIYH1639.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&apwidwc26qBP

EDIT: apparently it didn't like that super long link, so here's the second one, shortened. http://tinyurl.com/6k5ukz5

I recommend the dealer, www.rockauto.com or www.silverstatefordparts.com. If you go with Rock Auto, be sure to get the discount offered to EF members.

I don't know if they changed the part for the later years, but the one pictured in the your links look nothing like mine:

AmbientTempSensor.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back