How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

wow

Hey all!

So....I haven't been on this forum in several years since I got rid of my '97 EB and went with a Grand Cherokee. I was browsing through my Photobucket site and deleting a bunch of old pics when I came across the ones used for this thread. On a whim, I decided to come back here and see if they were still being used for anything....

Imagine my surprise to see that this thread had grown to so many pages and with so much positive feedback, to boot! I'm glad that my write-up was helpful to so many people - always gratifying to know that you've helped someone save some money and given them the confidence to get out and wrench on their ride.

Take care, all! :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was browsing through my Photobucket site and deleting a bunch of old pics when I came across the ones used for this thread. On a whim, I decided to come back here and see if they were still being used for anything....

Just wanted to say thanks for all the write-ups. These have helped me a whole lot. Hope you don't delete the pics for any of your "How-To's"!

Again...Thanks!

ty for post jw is it the same for AWD??? ty in advance

grease?

Two questions. Did you have to grease the new replacement bearing? Did you replace the seal on the back side of the axle that keeps debris from getting in?

2wd? are you takking about the ring behind the rotor?

if so, thats the abs tone ring...do not damage that. its sometimes hard to get out

Two questions. Did you have to grease the new replacement bearing? Did you replace the seal on the back side of the axle that keeps debris from getting in?

the unit bearings (hub/bearing assy) are fully assembled units. They are not serviceable. Therefore, you don't need to grease it.

As for the seal; if you're talking about the rubber one, that's actually on the cv shaft. Remanufactured shafts don't come with a new one, but new CVs do. The part itself is difficult to find. I never replaced it, except when I put a new set of half-shafts in, that came with the seal already on.

Any idea how to break the hub loose from the steering knuckle? Mine is in there good and I can't seem to break it loose.

For those having problems getting the hub assembly separated from the knuckle....

I used a duck bill spreader on a portapower type jack. I placed it between the knuckle and the lug flange. It took just a small amount of pressure to pop it free. I did it that way because I didn't have a slide hammer, but did have a portapower.

Great instructions. After hearing a grinding noise coming from my front pasenger side of my 99 Explorer I did some research and came across the forum. Replaced it and no more problems. Thanks.

I have a 98 xlt with 45k miles...hand me down from my father who never went any place. I had a bad ABS sensor and had to replace the left hub...I found this thread and I was able to perform the task at hand in about one hour...Of course my neighbor came over to see what I was doing and he had the same problem but never did anything about fixing his 98 Exp with 190k miles. I performed the same operation for him and he treated me to a steak dinner! Thanks for this thread and a free steak!

Thanks very much for your post. I'm in the process of doing the FE of a '97 AWD 5.0L X, so doing my research while weather is bad.

axle nut and lug nut specs

250 ft/ lbs?

I just completed this on the driver's side of my 98 sport 4x4. all the usual symptoms and it's good to go now. I will say that the 250 ft/lbs is a good bit too much. the specs on the axle nut says 157-215 or somewhere in that range. I got two hub assemblies for 126.90 shipped from 1aauto.com, there is also a video in great detail on their site. I used both this how-to and their video to do it. Not very difficult, but would've been much easier if I had a shop or good floor jacks lol

Did both of mine yesterday. It was a breeze after reading this post. Thanks for introducing me to anti seize also.

Nice job!

Very useful thanks for the help.:)

Hey guys. Just did this repair today. Worked awesome, except my ABS light is on now. Does it need a battery reset? All I did was replace the cable wth the new one that came with the hub.

broken hub

I have a broken hub "see pic" any ideas how to get it off? 95 Ford Explorer
157n8rm.jpg

Welcome To The Forum, take it off as you would normally, take the axle nut off along with the 3 bolts on the backside.

Yep...and from the looks of that, you may need a good puller and one helluva BFH...

Don't be surprised if it comes out in pieces.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back