Vibration / pulsation when towing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration / pulsation when towing

Just an idea in a different direction:
I have a 2002 XLT 4.6L RWD w/towing package (165K miles); just recently began frequent towing. Prior to that, no complaints. While towing, noticed vibrations in steering and strange "feeling" from rear of vehicle. Short story is I ended up replacing the front upper control arms (w/upper ball joints), then the front lower ball joints. Looking around some more, I found some more bushings/joints that were partially or completely dried out/worn out/ completely missing:
Front upper control arms replaced (ball joints worn/rubber missing)
Front stabilizer bar links replaced (rubber bushings worn-out/missing)
Front lower ball joints replaced (worn out/rubber shredded)
Front stabilizer bar bushings replaced (dried out)
Rear stablizer bar bushings completely gone (bar just banging around loose in bracket)
Rear stabilizer links replaced (rubber bushings dried out)
Front and rear lower control arms looked OK; (and they're harder anyway).

Took it to a shop to get front-end alignment, now it rides like a dream while towing.

I should have been inspecting the steering/suspension bushings/etc all along, but it didn't really feel like anything was wrong until I started towing. I think having the 400lb tongue weight lifts the load off the front end and lets everything wobble more freely.

Not saying you have to replace all that stuff, just check your joints/bushings for wear/tear.
Hope this helps.

Thank you I will look at those items.

P.S. I'm knocking on wood as I type this:
I've got 165K on my original shocks, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. I have also looked at the rear springs and they don't have any of the cracks that I've heard about, either.
But it wouldn't hurt to look....

Shocks seem to be good back spring are new

Back