• Register Today It's free!

Was it the clutch?

trush1492

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
hmmm. Im not a expert, but these parts dont look that bad to me.

flexplate.jpg

clutchdisc.jpg

flywheel.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks bad to me.

The pressure plate has some hot and glazed spots. The disc is worn down (look at the worn out grooves).

Looks bad to me.

The pressure plate has some hot and glazed spots. The disc is worn down (look at the worn out grooves).

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better about tearing it apart! hahaha

thats about what my clutch looked like when i replaced it because it was slipping under high acceleration. mine had hardly any of the grooves showing too.

Yea, definitely needs a clutch and flywheel resurfaced or new flywheel.

What was it doing that made you tear it apart?

Clutch wasnt catching till the pedal was all the way out and was slipping when you would have to get on it a little. I got all new parts to go in it. Flywheel, clutch kit, and slave.

Mine looked better than that but the flywheel had alot of surface cracking, the springs in the disc were broken, and the throwout bearing was on its way out.

Mine looked better than that but the flywheel had alot of surface cracking, the springs in the disc were broken, and the throwout bearing was on its way out.

Yeah, my throwout bearing is noisy when ya spin it.

the springs in the disc were broken,

I had that happen once. The little *******s managed to get jammed between the disc and the pressure plate and wouldnt allow the clutch to release.

By the way, this job isnt terrible with ramps on pavement. I thought it was going to be a total nightmare. It was a bit of a fight getting the tranny over my exhaust, but nothing too bad.

By the way, this job isnt terrible with ramps on pavement. I thought it was going to be a total nightmare. It was a bit of a fight getting the tranny over my exhaust, but nothing too bad.

The exhaust is the hardest part. I never drop the exhaust, I'd rather fight with the trans a little then snap the exhaust bolts.

The exhaust is the hardest part. I never drop the exhaust, I'd rather fight with the trans a little then snap the exhaust bolts.

Exactly! I tried drawing the bolts up due to a leak on the passenger side. They're not moving. Luckily, when I had the new dual in, dual out cat welded in, it wedged my exhaust and got rid of the leak.

the easiest way to get the exhaust bolts out is to let them soak in PB blaster and then put an impact on them. pulse the impact and they will loosen up without breaking usually

Everything is back together and working great! Thanks to everyone for their help and input!!

Back