Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
EB D44 SAS coil ?s

picked up a drum brake D44.. other than the disc brake swap it needs ring and pinion and a carrier..

will all D44 carriers work? what do i need to be looking for?

Been pricing disc brake swap kits but they seem pretty high for my tastes, can i keep the drum brake knuckles and just get caliper plates and a new spindle?

this is a work in progress.. hope to have it ready to go under the truck this spring. any information is appreciated, im reading through some threads now but if you know of a good one point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I use TTB D44 knuckles/brakes/spindles/hubs on the EB axle?

for some reason i think i remember reading it needs to be off of a 77-79 solid axle D44 but just wanted to check.

picked up a drum brake D44.. other than the disc brake swap it needs ring and pinion and a carrier..

will all D44 carriers work? what do i need to be looking for?

Been pricing disc brake swap kits but they seem pretty high for my tastes, can i keep the drum brake knuckles and just get caliper plates and a new spindle?

this is a work in progress.. hope to have it ready to go under the truck this spring. any information is appreciated, im reading through some threads now but if you know of a good one point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

There is a carrier split on Dana 44's depending on the gears used. A 3.73 & under carrier & 3.92 over.

You can use all the disk brake hardware and brackets (I believe) from any 76-79 F series 1/2 ton, or 78-79 Bronco.

I can use a 'thick' gear set if need be. thanks!

Its probably a better idea to just buy the carrier you need. Last time I looked they were only like $60. That way if you decide to add a locker in the future you won't have to buy a new ring and pinion.

now have carrier, ring and pinion and track bar bracket.. now on to coils

friend of mine is giving me a set of f series coils... we werent sure on how much lift the stock coils would give. been looking at the rock crawler EB coils from wildhorse4x4, they list 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 lift springs. I want to keep around 4" of lift on the truck, dont want it sitting to high.

ideas? suggestions? keep em comin guys, as soon as the weather breaks i want to get started on this

friend of mine is giving me a set of f series coils... we werent sure on how much lift the stock coils would give. been looking at the rock crawler EB coils from wildhorse4x4, they list 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 lift springs. I want to keep around 4" of lift on the truck, dont want it sitting to high.

You are building up your 93' correct? Just giving my 2 cents based on that if it is;)
I'd stay away from any coils from a full sized or TTB vehicle, they will be uber stiff and wont flex.
The EB coils are a good choice but keeping it at 4" may not be doable because you have the pesky TTB/engine crossmember in the way. You can trim it but it still may not be enough. The 5.5" EB coils seem to be the norm on a SAS and will give you roughly 6 to 6.5" of lift. That may sound high but with 35"-36" tires, it gives you the right amount of clearance at the crossmember and in the wheel wells.

I appreciate all the insight guys.. i need to spend some more time on the forum, have been slummin it in local jeep forums lately lol

so EB 5.5" coils.. thats good, will give me enough clearance when i eventually go with 35s. that gives me another diecidsion to make now, what to do with the rear? I still have a few sets of stock leaf packs, will probably just go SOA in the back.

Any other pointers to share?

Mine was that exact setup.

When I got it with 35s.

1600explorerII-med.jpg

And shortly after I got it. :)

1600NewLook5.jpg

o.k. here is my Dana 44 build up.

DSCN2075.jpg

it has backing plates from bronco graveyard for G.m. disc brakes. has all G.M. brake parts.

DSCN2078.jpg

DSCN2077.jpg

I'm only going with 33" tires on my build. but I plan on doing an S.O.A.

i wont be moving up in tire size until my coopers are worn.. but it will be nice to have the room for 35s. so far i have $100 and a used optima in the axle, ring and pinion, track bar bracket, and disc brake parts.. can we say 'budget build'

I need to see if i can return my 6" TTB springs, bought them before i decided to go SAS. need to get rid of them to get the cash for the wildhorses4x4 5.5" rock crawler springs.

I'm on the same "budget build" too. and it has been slow trying to get evrything together to make this build work.

I have a new front drive shaft (new to me out of a junk yard) complete power steering system out of a 2wd Chevy van.

I have the original track bar that came with the axle but I still need a track bar bracket for the frame. I'm thinking an adjustable bracket

a friend of mine is doing this swap on hi ranger.. kept the ttb ra drop bracket, moved them farther back on the frame, D44 RA's matched up perfectly. he is using the EB TREs, but we were thinking I should be able to use my TTB y link steering setup, TRE taper is the same, right?

so now im down to coils, wheel adapters for the 8.8, shocks, and a locker for the D44. im sure im forgetting a few things..

a friend of mine is doing this swap on hi ranger.. kept the ttb ra drop bracket, moved them farther back on the frame, D44 RA's matched up perfectly. he is using the EB TREs, but we were thinking I should be able to use my TTB y link steering setup, TRE taper is the same, right?

so now im down to coils, wheel adapters for the 8.8, shocks, and a locker for the D44. im sure im forgetting a few things..

You'll get major bumpsteer with the stock steering and solid axle unless somehow you get the draglink parallel with the track bar and tie rod.

I also have the GM brakes, which means very inexpensive parts. Loaded calipers are around 26.00

The bumpsteer is not even noticeable on my set up. I can pinch the steering wheel with my thumb and finger to drive one handed.

IMG_1925.jpg

I can also testify to the road manners of Froader's old rig, as I see it often after driving it home to Kansas from California.

I also have the GM brakes, which means very inexpensive parts. Loaded calipers are around 26.00

The bumpsteer is not even noticeable on my set up. I can pinch the steering wheel with my thumb and finger to drive one handed.

IMG_1925.jpg

I can also testify to the road manners of Froader's old rig, as I see it often after driving it home to Kansas from California.

That's because you're not using the stock steering. Your steering is setup properly. He was talking about reusing his Ex's drag link and tie rod.

IMG_1925.jpg

any good pic's of the cross member holding the radius arm brackets?? or how you have your radius arm brackets mounted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back