1998 ford explorer 5.0 rear catalytic converter question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 ford explorer 5.0 rear catalytic converter question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No need to sit in the corner. It takes us all to make this work. :thumbsup:

You know what it was, I was looking up exhaust stuff for another vehicle, then flipped tabs over here aaaaaaaanddddd didnt switch vehicles :D

Where i live all these basterds are crooks.

It does sound like your "mechanic" was trying to swindle you. Which is why I asked for clarification. The catalytic converters are the most expensive exhaust component there is, and generally they last the life of the vehicle. Which is why I'm suspicious when somebody nonchalantly says, "Oh gee, looks like you need a new one. Should get a dealership part too."

I'll read how to swap the sensor and do it tonight. Thanks.

Since Turdle hasn't mentioned his own thread I'll go ahead and do it. These three threads may help you or other future readers:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

It does sound like your "mechanic" was trying to swindle you. Which is why I asked for clarification. The catalytic converters are the most expensive exhaust component there is, and generally they last the life of the vehicle. Which is why I'm suspicious when somebody nonchalantly says, "Oh gee, looks like you need a new one. Should get a dealership part too."

Since Turdle hasn't mentioned his own thread I'll go ahead and do it. These three threads may help you or other future readers:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

my neighbors brother tested the sensors with a pro2 oxygen sensor tester thing, and said they are all good.

I just wanted to thank everybody for your help. It was a leak.

Cool! What type of leak and where was it?

Turdle,

Sorry to just jump in here (I've been reading this and following this whole page of threads).. but I've had the ticking on my driver's side - 5.0 97. sounded like was coming from exhaust manifold on driver's side.. thing is then clicking stopped and now car is rumbling or vibrating and leaking out of one of my cats (haven't looked under thoroughly enough yet and will do so).. what is your opinion.. I unfortunately don't have a obd 2 scan tool yet and will get one but I'm pretty positive I need to replace my driver's side exhaust manifold.. question is... could a clogged or blocked cat be a product of the manifold leaking... or is it bad too?.. what do you think.. I know there is a thread or many on this but I just thought to ask you since you brought it up and seem solid on it..
Thanks for your time,

Back