Lift gate window latch on a 2002 Explorer Limited. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate window latch on a 2002 Explorer Limited.

hootchiesmom

Reaction score
City, State
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Limited
Joined last night, and very happy to be here!
Looked for info for hours on this but found nothing.

Have a problem with the Lift Gate Window Latch on my '02 Explorer Limited.
Never use that window and have no idea how it was opened.
Now it will not latch.
If I manually roll the latch, the remote entry will unlock it, with latch in unlock position when I close the window, not catching.

I see nothing loose, nothing in the way of closing, and window seems to be all the way down into position.

Also have never used the exterior door lock switch on the left side of the cargo area (above the license plate) that is not working either.

Hoping someone can give me the answer.
Thankyou for any help you can offer!
hootchiesmom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brooklyn Bay... took me forever to find this area to post.
Please give me an address to click on to bring me to the area "stock 2002-2005 section"

Mine did the same exact thing when I first got it and could't figure out why. Looking at the back of the truck I happened to notice the gap to the left of the glass was bigger than the gap to the right. All I did was move it silightly to the left and now is all good. I dont use the glass either, I just lift the whole back door. Just be careful. Don't want to break the hinges or the glass.

Check with your local Ford Dealer. There is a recall on the liftgate hinges. This may apply to your Ex and may fix your problem. I had mine done in October so I believe that the recall is still open.

Hey Rondo!!!! Were your hinges broken or did you go straight to the service dept. to get them fixed? Maybe my 02 eddie needs this !!!!! I'll go and try to pull an oasis report, see what's done by the dealers?????

I have my Ex registered at The Ford Owner's Website. The recall for the hinges and the cruise control were listed as item's that needed attention. So I brought it in. Simple as that!!

Thanks!!!! I'll see what I can do!!!!

There was a recall back I think in '06 or there abouts., I did bring my '02 in at that time. LOL In the process of replacing the parts, they blew up my window when they either opened or closed the window hatch. Looked like a bed of diamonds EVERYWHERE! Didn't connect the two until Rhondo mentioned the recall.
Called today, the nearest Ford Dealer 40 miles away~~ for them to take care of the Speed Control System recall, and explained my dilemma with all parts seeming to work
just not latching, they are going to take a quick look and may be able to make a quick adjustment.... will let you all know
Wish me luck!
Hootchiesmom

I was just going to go to Dealer....

OK. Thanks. :thumbsup:

There was a recall back I think in '06 or there abouts., I did bring my '02 in at that time. LOL In the process of replacing the parts, they blew up my window when they either opened or closed the window hatch. Looked like a bed of diamonds EVERYWHERE! Didn't connect the two until Rhondo mentioned the recall.
Called today, the nearest Ford Dealer 40 miles away~~ for them to take care of the Speed Control System recall, and explained my dilemma with all parts seeming to work
just not latching, they are going to take a quick look and may be able to make a quick adjustment.... will let you all know
Wish me luck!
Hootchiesmom

Be sure to let us know how you make out! :D

What a day!!!!!!!!!
Backed out of the garage and hit the remote to close the overhead door, cable blew off of pulley and wrapped around the bar. Have a repairman coming tomorrow to work on it.

Then Drove the 40 miles to the dealer, listening to the "door ajar" warning bell all the way!!!!

They took the plastic panels off. Hosed the latch down with penetrating oil, (which I had done Sunday with "PB Blaster") and the latch started to catch. He said the latch was just barely catching. So readjusted it to grab better.

He did not get the outside button for the lift gate window to work, said it probably had to be replaced, since I have never used it (actually never knew it was there), decided to ignore that.

I explained I never open the lift gate window since the recall repair, and the window exploded when they went to work on it. But have had several times where it would not be latched when driving away from home. Asked how this could happen.

He explained that the pressure from closing the door could pop the latch with it just barely catching. Am guessing this was a problem since the replacement of the recall.

Paid my bill and backed out of the stall.

Got on the road and realized he had all windows down. Hit the buttons to close each window and the last one (back seat driver's side}, all I could hear was like glass crunching.... arrrrrrrg, back to the garage I went.

He listened to it as I hit the up button, said he was sure the cable had broken to crank up the window. He effortlessly pulled the window up and it is now taped into position!

They managed to find the part (LAST ONE IN STOCK at the distribution center) and will be in tomorrow morning , and I will be going back tomorrow afternoon to have it installed
~~~that is if the right part comes in~~~
along with a check for just shy of $200!!!!!!

Sooooooo, as I sit here in total disbelief, my suggestion is to hose down the latch with a good penetrating oil.... and don't roll the windows down, but open the doors to avoid
any back pressure while working on the latch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hootchiesmom ;<(

hey i was able to fix my rear window latch on 02 explorer,1st with very sharp utility nife cut out the trim with logo , gently take your time , than dismount the silver plate from yr wiper motor (2 screws), u will see the hole latch hanging on silver plate and seporated from the glass(very poor by ford), take a part the hole assamble of latch ,find flat plate and drill 2 holes put that plate on top of the glass use rubber to seporate glass from metal ,use flat head 2 inch bolts (stennless steel) bild up with 3 washersunder the glass and mount latch bracket plus silver plate ,if u have hard time with plastic cover dismount use long flat screw driver and go gently ,try to reach the locks for the cover...any questions let mi know ..i have done my on its perfect!!!!

Back