2007 Mercury Mountaineer deployable power running boards | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Mercury Mountaineer deployable power running boards

vipersinu2

Reaction score
City, State
The Big City of Orange City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Navigator 450hp
I have a problem, sometimes the driver side running board will not deploy. I can hear it trying to come down, I removed the armature cover from the motor to check the brushes on the motor and they are good. I cleaned he inside with electrical cleaner real good, but no luck, I can spin the armature freely, I can spin the board up and down with ease by hand, it is not seized. I even applied a small amount of grease on the back bearing, I seem to think when the motor is retracting, or winding up the board, it is winding up the motor to far and not stoping, resulting in the motor sticking on the downward motion, and it can not release the tension to come back down is there a way of telling the motor to stop spinning at a certain spot so it doesn’t wind up as tight?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have fixed my deployable power running board. Here is how

Step 1. Remove the running board from truck, 4 13mm nuts and 2 13mm bolts unplug wiring.

Step 2. Remove motor cover. 2 small torque screws.

Step 3. Spray lubricant behind the circuit board to lubricate transmission.

Step 4. On rear of the hinge there is an 8mm bolt remove it and knock out aluminum wedge. Remember which way it comes out. That wedge is a keyway that makes the board move with the motor shaft.

Step 5. With the wedge removed, spray all the moving joints with lubricant and work the hinges up and down, until everything moves freely. Working the lubricant into all the joints.

Step 6. Install wedge back into place; install motor cover back on to motor. ( Make sure that the rear bearing is aligned to accept the motor shaft. you might have to wiggle it back and forth to seat the cover. Plug in wiring harness and try it out, then install it back on truck.

Very simple and easy to fix. It probably will take you less that 1 hour. I will post pictures this week when I do the other side. The side that I repaired deploys up and down twice as the other side now.

thanks, I'm going to give this a try,

I'll take pictures when I do this and post them

much appreciated Ford Dealer quoted me $800

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48228.jpg

Front two nuts and one bolt

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48227.jpg

Rear two nuts and one bolt

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48225.jpg

unplug wiring

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48224.jpg

off truck

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48223.jpg

lay something soft down so no scratches

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48222.jpg

plastic sheild screws

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48220.jpg

motor cover screws

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48218.jpg

pull off motor cover

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48217.jpg

spin shaft untill it stops, wedge bolt will be accessible ( I turn the shaft in both direction untill it stops so I could feel all the gears in side are moving freely)

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48216.jpg

remove wedge bolt

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48215.jpg

pop out wedge from back side

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48214.jpg

wedge

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48213.jpg

this is motor shaft, note black square will make mark on wedge

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48211.jpg

note mark on wedge for reintallation

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48208.jpg

spray lubricant on all moving parts

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48210.jpg

step on board and work up and down about 25 times, spraying lubricant in all joints untill moving freely

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48207.jpg

spray lubricant in transmission

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48206.jpg

spray electricial cleaner inside motor cover

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48205.jpg

spray electricial cleaner on shaft

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48204.jpg

inspect that the brushes are still good and the 2 black torq screws are tight (or even there).

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48203.jpg

apply small amount of grease to back bearing in motor cover, use something plastic to apply grease.

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48202.jpg

work bearing so it moves freely

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48201.jpg

insert motor cover, you might have to wiggle it back and forth

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48200.jpg

motor cover screwed in place

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48199.jpg

insert wegde in place

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48198.jpg

flip board over and insert wedge screw and tighten down

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48197.jpg

install plastic sheild screws

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48195.jpg

bring board back over to truck and plug in electric wiring and test board before reinstalling. if all works fine reinstall all four nuts and two bolts securing board back to truck

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48194.jpg

deployed

picture.php?albumid=11239&pictureid=48193.jpg

board retracted, your all done saving 1600.00 bucks

Hey Guys

I got a similiar problem with my running board. So I followed the instructions above, but I having trouble removing the wedge. I took out the 8 mm bolt and try to hammer it out with a mallet and a screwdriver, but the the material is so soft that it damages the metal piece inside. Is removing the wedge necessary or are there other options to remove the wedge?

thanks

Indy

thread the bolt back and hit the bolt with a hammer it will knock out the wedge, I would remove it to really work in the grease in all the joint

k thanks let me try that will update once I get it going..

thx for the prompt reply, I wasnt expecting a reply that soon so I sent you an email with the same message, ignore pls.

no problem check the 11th picture down thats how i knocked it out!

k so I took out the wedge, lubed all the parts and hooked it back up but still will not fold up. the motors makes a little noise and tires to fold up, but stops right away.

could it be the motor?

with the wedge out did you stand on the board and pull up and down on the hardware about 25 times to make sure the everything moves easliy? did you free up the bearing in the motor cover?
make sure when you put it back together that you spin the motor shaft all the way untill it stops then reasemble, I notice that if not it doesent go back up.

no I didnt try that. I did not know the the hardware was able to move freely after the wedge was out.

currently the board is half way up and is stick in that position, so I will try to spin the motor shaft all the way...

k let me try these tom morning....

Just have to ad: Viper- GREAT job on the pix and explanation.

k...had the day off..worked on the board...did what you told me to do VIPUR and it worked....

thanks for your help...much appreciated......saved me some $$$...

Glad to hear it worked for you indy

Hey Vppersinu2,
Great info and pics I did mine yesterday and the drivers side works fine but the passenger side won't work I got the pivot points freed up where you can move them up and down real easy but when I put them back together the motor will run and cycle like it is supposed to but it makes a loud grinding noise and the boards don't move could it be in the transmission and be repaired or does the whole motor need to be replaced and if so any ideas where to find one. Sorry for the long post and thanks fory any help

Larry

check the 20th picture down, you will see that there is a black torq screw, make sure that both of them are tight, or even there?

also when you were spin the motor shaft all the way untill it stops both ways, does it move freely or does it feel like gears are binding up?

thanks for the quick response I will check the torq screw and also the motor shaft but I think it spins free not sure that it tightens in either direction thanks again.
Larry

larry keep us update and let know what you find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The torq screws are there but they do not look like your pic they are grey and they are down inside of the green plate but they are tight and the motor spins freely and will not tighten up no matter how long you spion i in either direction. any ideas for next step.

Thanks Larry

Back