Buying an 02 Eddie Bauer (need advice) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying an 02 Eddie Bauer (need advice)

phideous

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
I have a line on an 02 Eddie Bauer 2wd with 30k miles on it. I will be going to look at/buy it tomorrow 02/19/11 are there any common issues to the gen 3 I should be looking for in my inspection?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did some little old grey-haired lady own it and only drove it to church on Sundays?? That's pretty low mileage and I can't believe it would be hurt much ?? It's not 4WD so you shouldn't have the typical problems associated with that. Could be a darn good deal if the price is right.

Evidently it was a going to get groceries car kind of thing has been garage stored its whole life. Price on it at the moment is $8500 but of course I will negotiate after I look at it. Carfax does check out no accidents and one owner clean title.

Some things I noticed when looking at '02/'03 explorers was quite a few had some rust in the fenders and some occasional rust on the bottom inside of the lift gate. It was easy to pick out the ones that had never seen a garage.

I would go for it if you could get it at a little lower that what there are askin for it. I have an 02 Explorer 2wd and it has been a great car. I believe the 2wd give less problems than the 4wd from what ive heard. I bought it with 49,000 and now has 141,000 and i have only replaced both back wheel bearings. I want to replace my front upper and lower ball joints cause the boots are busted and the grease is slowly workin its way out. and while i have it all apart im just going ahead and replaceing my front wheel bearings too. Last year my mother bought a 2000 Ranger from my grandpas neighbor and it only had 10,000 miles on it, bought it for 5,000 and it still had the new car smell :D

Fortunately I am in California so rust is not commonly an issue here, paint fade is the bigger problem. The car does blue book in fair condition at $9200 so $8500 is not bad. Besides I blew the head gasket on my '97's ohv motor and I am really happy to find a low mileage replacement.

Well I bought it :) Got it for $7800 and it drives like a dream (forgot what good suspension felt like) Thanks to all those who responded.

Give it a good bath. Clay it and apply a good wax and you'll be good. I use P&S products. Their Clear Tone Glaze is great and apply by hand and it comes off easy. P&S Sales is in Northern CA. Congrats on your purchase - enjoy.

Well I bought it :) Got it for $7800 and it drives like a dream (forgot what good suspension felt like) Thanks to all those who responded.

Congrats on the new purchase! Standing by for some pics...................:popcorn:

I will get some pics up either tonight or tomorrow, my son earned a trip to Chuckie Cheese for helping inspect the Ex and he is not going to let me take pics till after ;)

Here is a photo of the old and new :)

yem6Dh.jpg

And a gallery of photos of my new Ex....

http://imgur.com/a/GzmMg

First project is new tires tomorrow. :)

I will get some pics up either tonight or tomorrow, my son earned a trip to Chuckie Cheese for helping inspect the Ex and he is not going to let me take pics till after ;)

Better not mess with the Chuck E. Cheese run. !

Chuck+E+Cheese.jpg

Your new Ex looks great. I love the color!! ;)

Congrats- awesome deal. just check for the timing chain issues that they tend to have. Suspension can be troublesome at higher mileage (at least for me). But they really are good trucks and you got an awesome deal. If your not wanting to spend alot of $ on wheel upgrades, you can get a chrome hub cap to go over those rims i believe... but i would get the new 20inch explorer wheels if they were realistic around here... alotta pot hole and would probably bend

Back