• Register Today It's free!

front drive shaft

jaguarwoman

Reaction score
City, State
Indian Territory
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 mountaineer
I have a 1997 mountaineer, 5.0 liter V8,AWD. Would like to find a used front drive shaft. Can anyone tell me which model year ford Explorer or Ranger front drive shafts will interchange with my mountaineer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fitting the front drive shaft in this age bracket is tricky.

However, one answer will help tremendously.

Taking a look at the transfer case tail housing-(where the rear drive shaft comes out)

Look for a sensor with a wire harness. Or, if you could take a picture of the left (driver) side of the tail housing it would help.
Also, if you could get a picture of the front output where the front shaft meets the transfer case.

What we are looking for is to see if your transfer case has the speed sensor. Some do, and some do not in this time frame.

If you do have the speed sensor, you need a front prop shaft for early 97.

If you do not have the sensor, the drive shaft may need to be measured.

This is pretty easy to do.

PIctures would help. Post them to a free picture site like
www.photobucket.com
then just post the links back in here.

finally got out of snowdrift so I could get som pictures. hope that they come through.
P2240568.jpg

P2240566.jpg

P2240565.jpg

It's going to be tough to find one used. I just ordered one made and am going to get a kit to rebuild the other..... Ford will try and rip you 600 for one. We have a vendor here that supplies them but he told me he's out for a few weeks.

Where are you located?

1997-2001 23" weld to weld. XL2Z4A376BA

Back