Ordered Lift for my Explorer, but have some questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered Lift for my Explorer, but have some questions.

Kris02sport

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport 2WD
Hey guys, like the title says, I have ordered all my lift components. but I have some questions because I probably will be installing it myself with my brothers help.

First Question: I ordered the 4in Superlift rear leafs from Summit racing because it was a WHOLE LOT cheaper, but it's just the leaf springs. Will I need any extra hardware or anything? Because I noticed on the Superlift website that there is a rear box kit, but I figured it was just shocks.

Second Question: For the people who have done this before, What all tools are going to be needed to install the Superlift rear leafs, some Doestch front spindles and some shocks all around? I have a lot of tools here and the only thing me and my brother think we need that we don't have is a good Torque wrench. But I would still like a list of tools used to make sure i get all that I need before I start this. We got 2 Jack stand's but the thing that really making me worry are the shocks. Taking them off and putting on the new ones. I figures I would just take my jack and jack up the suspension and take the load off the shock. But any info here is awesome.

Third Question: How hard do y'all think this will be? I'm 19 and my brother is 20. I personally have never done anything like this. The most I have done is Change my oil and install my Hurst Short Shifter honestly. But my brother has helped worked on his friends cars, so he knows more than I. I think we can tackle it in a good day or two. I really don't feel like paying a shop more in labor than I paid for the entire lift set-up to install it, but if y'all recommend I do then I probably will consider it.

And just to give y'all and idea on what I'm doing.
On a 2002 Explorer Sport 5-spd 2wd.
-Doestch 3in lift spindles (Doing 11.25 front rotor swap)
-Superlift 4in leafs
-1in-2in TT undecided on how much. Waiting to see clearance on tires first.
-Procomp 4in lift shocks
-33x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ (Will post pics as soon as I can find my dads camera. These things are HUGE.)
-15x10 procomp streetlocks

And also if y'all have any suggestions, info, methods, or wisdom to help make this process a lot easier please let me know.

I searched all over for this, and couldn't find much. So, sorry if this is a repost or something I could find by searching more. Haha

Thanks,
Kris. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First Question: I ordered the 4in Superlift rear leafs from Summit racing because it was a WHOLE LOT cheaper, but it's just the leaf springs. Will I need any extra hardware or anything? Because I noticed on the Superlift website that there is a rear box kit, but I figured it was just shocks.

i put the superlift springs on the back of my Ex and didn't use the stock box kit, i used the stock bolts, and stock shackles,,

yes, the box kit has the stuff you need extra like the brake line and sway bar links, so it is worth the extra money, Summit says $107, that is not bad

although getting the kit from superlift includes the springs too,,

I already have all my lift components in the mail, so I don't need the springs. I just don't have the extra do-dads that come in the box kit. Thanks Corkey for the help. I'm glad I went ahead and asked and not waited to find out while installing it. That would have sucked.

Back