• Register Today It's free!

Score!

tkd91

Reaction score
City, State
Cape May, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ex. XLT 4x4 4.6L V8
Look at what I found at my local junk yard! $15 bucks and 5 mins of wrenching. :D I couldn't get the damn stock brackets out of the frame, the bumper was bent too much. No air tools, so no luck. Home depo grade 8 nuts! Here I come!

IMG_0005.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet man! post pics of them on your X

Here you go. :D

2011-02-27%2012.31.35.jpg

Wonder how much it would mess up the truck if I had to tow off the bottom of the brush guard. Hopefully I can always tow her out backwards.

Wonder how much it would mess up the truck if I had to tow off the bottom of the brush guard. Hopefully I can always tow her out backwards.

Well its attached from the frame like a class III/IV hitch it should be fine.

Looks good. I just bought some Friday. Couldn't find any junk yard ones so I paid way more then I wanted to on EBay.

Tow hooks look really good! :thumbsup:

Looks good. I just bought some Friday. Couldn't find any junk yard ones so I paid way more then I wanted to on EBay.

Make sure you get Grade 5 or 8 bolts/nuts. Grade 8 is the best, I used grade 5 because I couldn't find and grade 8 nuts at my home depot. Thanks BigRondo, it now looks like a 4x4 with the hooks! :D

Has anyone tried to install tow hooks in the rear? Not the hitch type, I mean hooks attacted to the frame? bolt-in or welded on?

Make sure you get Grade 5 or 8 bolts/nuts. Grade 8 is the best, I used grade 5 because I couldn't find and grade 8 nuts at my home depot.

I know. I went to Home Depot to get some yesterday, got distracted in the tool section, spent a bunch of money on crap I don't need, and when I got home I realized I didn't even get the bolts! Oh well, still waiting on the hooks, so I have a few days.

1/2"x2" bolts and 1/2" nuts. Worst part about the install is, if you have fat fingers. The slots in the frame will not be your friends.

it now looks like a 4x4 with the hooks! :D

x2

I don't think it would be a good idea. Depends on what the brush guard is made of. Mine is some kind of light steel and I wouldn't trust it.

I am in the process of building some brackets to be able to use tow hooks with the brush guard. I will post a thread when the project is done.

Back