• Register Today It's free!

Startup Rattle

irocdupi

Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
Ok so I hear alot of different things about what the startup rattle could be. It only does it when the truck has been sitting for a while. Usually the first start of the day when its real cold. I know its the timing chain, is it the tensioner, if so can I replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get the same thing. swetrid reckons its normal.

im assuming you have the V6 explorer , the last ex i had the ( 03 and 02 ) both did the same thing , on top of the engine front theres a hydrolic timing chain tensioner , theres a fix for the drain back of oil for that to stop the start up rattle . i never bothered with it

Yeah the fix helps a little however you will still notice a little rattle on startup. It's just the nature of the beast. When your engine starts it takes a second or two to pump up the hydraulic timing chain tensioners. I've noticed that if I park with my truck pointing down hill slightly it's not as bad (my driveway slopes a bit). But you get used to it. You only need to start worrying when it rattles while under normal conditions when running). Be sure to change the oil regularly.

im assuming you have the V6 explorer , the last ex i had the ( 03 and 02 ) both did the same thing , on top of the engine front theres a hydrolic timing chain tensioner , theres a fix for the drain back of oil for that to stop the start up rattle . i never bothered with it

do you know what the fix is??tryin to get her back in tip top shape... i've tried searchin the threads... THERE ARE TONS to look through... I wish one would be 'sticky'ed. Got an 03 with about to hit 180... im parking her this summer if gas really gets to $5 a gallon... it was $3.40 last week here in rochester, and i heard they just went up today locally... alot... that aside, any knowledge on a thread? thanks

lookup the Ford 00m12 recall kit it includes all the parts.

lookup the Ford 00m12 recall kit it includes all the parts.

is that for gen 2 or gen 3??? I looked up recalls for my x- (03) and came up with none... at all.. is the gen 2 4.0 sohc (not the aerostar 4.0) the same as my V6? in other words- would that work??

that's for the gen2 the gen 3's already have the fix implimented. Not sure of the exact dates but I know sometime towards the end of the gen2'a (like 2000 or 2001) they included the updated in the engines. Then they made some further improvements to the system in like 02 or 03. So if you have a gen3 then you do not need the updates. If you are hearing a startup knock you may need to replace the hydralic tensioners. It's been said on here they they only last about 70k. However I think this has more to do with type of oil used and if normal change intervals are followed.

my 4.6L used to do it, i believe it was the belt tensioner.

Back