• Register Today It's free!

Need to buy new battery...

M1911A1

Reaction score
City, State
MICHIGAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
Sorry if this theme has been exhausted in the past, but I'm new to this awesome forum, and although I've tried to find info on current batteries, haven't seen much. I need a unit for my 04XLT 4X4 V8 with towing pck. We do tow our camper so we need a heavy duty battery for all the accesories. No complaints with the original equipment installed, since it lasted 78,000 miles. I'm incline to go with the same, but maybe you guys know of better options. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced mine with a battery from Sams Club(Energizer I think) because it was the cheapest I found(around $80) and it works like a champ. Any good replacement will do what you want and be all you'll need;)

Batteries cost $1-2/month over their lifetime, so any thoughts of savings are illusory.

Buying the best battery means fewer replacements over time, and costs no more on a per month basis.

Buy any quality battery with a good warrantee and you'll be fine. Optimas are popular but have a less than admirable failure rate.

I went with a Sears Diehard Platinum. Not cheap but a good unit with a good warrantee, and replacable almost anywhere.

I've been sold on Motorcraft since the late 90's because I've never had one go bad before it's warranty expired. I've done Diehard, Champion and about any off brand you can find but the Motorcraft far out performed any of them.

Whatever battery you decide on, be sure it's anchored tightly in the tray. Vibrations from poorly anchored batteries can shorten their life span by more than half.

YMMV.

..... Vibrations from poorly anchored batteries can shorten their life span by more than half.

YMMV.

Not to mention that batteries bouncing up and down have been known to short out against the hood, or tip over and short elsewhere, and start FIRES! imp

+1 Diehard Platinum P-2. Compare price, specs, warranty, fitment, etc. A no brainer, for the win!

Costco's Kirkland battery exceeds OEM's specs.

Diehard Platinum, but very expensive.

Geez people are you serious? I wouldn't get anything but an optima. I've built all the rest for years. Optimas are a necessity in the tornadoes on a 4x4. Even with it secured, if you think about it anyone that does any sort of angles in the truck is messing it up. Mount an optima on it's side for it's life-cycle if you want. The only thing holding the company back is that old school doesn't believe in non checkable batteries.

I have arguments out the wazoo on this issue. Simple cheap, go ahead with any battery, the new ones are no better than recycled if you can find a local place. Recycled have better warranty compared to price if you carry jumpers.

Sizes don't matter one bit, you can put whatever you want in there, take off the bottom plastic. The only stat is what it does. Electricity, not size, most are similar in different sizes.

Putting in a high alternator without a superior battery (hopefully two) is just a waste. It's like running foolish stereos without big caps. (different subject, but just running on ;)

First, for the original questioners use, any battery should be fine. The alternator will provide all the power you need. Your battery will simply get the vehicle started and not be needed to provide continued amperage. Towing virtually anything does not increase current draw to the extent that the tow vehicle battery capacity comes into play. Unless you are running refrigeration (not the kind in an RV, that still uses very little).

Second, yes we are serious. Did you know the Diehard Platinum is an AGM? Thats right Absorbed Glass Mat. Virtually all claims made by Optima are common to all AGM batteries. They all have low internal resistance, accept a charge fast, maintain stable voltages at high current draw, high energy density, and have a low self discharge rate. They are all also very expensive. The primary difference is the Optimas spiral wound design. This may offer some benefit to vibration resistance. However, there are many other ways to accomplish this that may be superior (plate edge insulation, intercell connection size, thickness of the plate and the like) without the inherent sacrifices.

If you do run high current draw, low duration applications such as amps any AGM will preform exceptionally. If the current draw will last much longer such as extended winching, we need to consider battery capacity. This is not CCA but could be expressed as Ah capacity or Reserve capacity (not the same, they are messured using different test procedures). This is primarily determined by plate surface area. This is also where Optimas are lacking. Remember the spiral design, their "deep cycle" batteries sacrifice total capacity for life span while there starting batteries sacrifice life span for current.

Im not saying Optima isn't a fine battery and will work wonderfully for most situations, it just isn't the hands down winner by any means. The Die hard Platinum accels at Reserve capacty for a starting type AGM. This would only be needed if you play that stereo for a long time without the engine running, winch for extended periods or have to crank for a very long time to start the engine. Life Line may be the finest brand made anywhere at any price for deep discharge AGMs. First decide if you really need an AGM. Like I said, they are expensive. Especially Life Line.

Finally, what exactly does "non checkable" mean. I assume you mean maintenance free which doesn't really exist. It truely means maintenance prohibitive. All batteries gas some even gels and AGMs. Its a fact of the chemistry involved. With the so called maintenance free you simply can not replace the lost water. Optima claims that their battery does not gas if charged under 15 volts under most conditions. They do not define most conditions. Gassing is very temperature dependent. The defacto temp the industry uses is 80 degrees. Most AGM manufactures say they dont "significantly" gas at 80 degrees unless charged above 14.4 volts. Underhood temps in most vehicles significantly exceede this temperature. Fortunatly most alternators regulate between 13.5 and 14.5 volts.

So what I use isn't really a question. Diehard Platinum in the Explorer- I winch for extended periods and their warranty is pretty good. Life Lines on the trailer- large battery bank with complete solar charging system. We do alot of dry camping but still want all the conveniences. When I finally do draw the Life Lines down about 50% we are usually headed for a new location and charge off the Explorer alternator via a 0-2 (that is correct, not a 2-0) cable all the way back to the trailer.

Sorry to ramble, but like I said the Optima isn't the Cats Ass. Its just a decent battery for those that feel the need for an AGM. There are alternatives, and yes we are serious.

...... Did you know the Diehard Platinum is an AGM? Thats right Absorbed Glass Mat. an AGM. .....

Would this be a relatively new replacement used for what we called "separators" in between plates, in batteries, years ago? imp

I still have the original Motorcraft battery in my 03 xls.It came off the line March of 03.The first four years it was driven in the hills of western Maryland,Since 2007 down here in Orlando Fl.Still going strong but I am sure it's days are numbered.Thats when I will check the latest Consumer Reports article. And always look for the date the battery was made if the store does not sell many or rotate the stock you could get one that has been ditting around for awhile.

Would this be a relatively new replacement used for what we called "separators" in between plates, in batteries, years ago? imp

Basically, Yes, in a word.

my first experience with an optima yellow top: bought it for $180, put it in the car, it was dead and wouldn't start the car, took it out and charged it, still dead and wouldn't start the car, took it back for a refund.

my first experience with an optima yellow top: bought it for $180, put it in the car, it was dead and wouldn't start the car, took it out and charged it, still dead and wouldn't start the car, took it back for a refund.

Optima battery fans are like Apple computer fans, wildly rabid. Optimas are decent enough batteries, just as Apples are good computers, but not the cure for the common cold, and you pay for the honor of owning one.. Ask someone who works in auto parts on how many get returned by frustrated customers. Just don't openly disagree with an Optima/Apple/Global Warming fan - it's not worth it.

What's wrong with global warming? I'd enjoy some, it's freezing here... :D

IMP, sorry for the late response. No a seperator and an AGM are not the same. All batteries that I know of have seperators. Absorbed Glass Mat is an entirly different design than a lead acid battery. In that it does not have Liqued electrolyte. A gel battery combines the electrolyte into a gel so that it does not leak when the battery is turned on its side or punctured. An AGM battery combines the electrolyte and suspends it in a glass mat. There is very little liqued, just damp enough for the reactions to take place. Puntured, upside down you name it, no leak. Each design of battery as well as the elements used inside have benefits and drawbacks. AGMs still have seperators and this is yet another quality difference between manufacturers not design. The better the seperator the more resistant to vibration.

Within each basic design; lead acid, gel, AGM then each use; starting battery, deep cycle and combined (marine), each battery is very much the same. The more plate area (bigger battery physically) the more capacity. The more plates the higher the voltage. The thicker the plate, the more times the battery can be discharged. Better thicker interplate welds, case design, and seperators all resist vibration. This is just a basic overview but you get the idea.

You can find a brief overview at optimas web site or a more technical one at the Life Line web site. Can't remember the real manufacturer of Life Line, maybe concourde. Either way they are the same people that make our military aircraft batteries. Unless you subject your battery to very specific extremes, most name brand batteries will do the job. Like Easyrhino said earlier, the monthly cost of a battery over its life is very small. Select name brand, compare specs (moslty reserve capacity/amp hour) and warranty vs cost and be happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The more plates the higher the voltage. The thicker the plate, the more times the battery can be discharged.

Just a point of clarification. The voltage is a chemical function of the galvanic cell involved, in other words, what chemicals are involved in the oxidation-reduction reaction. For example, Lead-Acid (Sulphuric, to wit: Pb + PbO2 + H2SO4 = PbSO4 + H2O - note - not shown balanced {lazyness}) yields approximately 2 VDC per cell. That's why 12 volt car batteries have 6 cells (6 x 2 vdc = 12 vdc) and old 6 volt systems used a battery with three cells. Therefore, voltage is not a function of the number of plates, but the number of cells. Each cell will contain many plates, positive and negative. The greater the number and size of the plates the greater the amperage, not voltage.

Back