Dump question about resetting the keyless entry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dump question about resetting the keyless entry

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
Dumb question about resetting the keyless entry

So whats to keep someone who knows the factory reset code from reprogramming the keyless entry to gain access to the SUV?

What am I missing here?

Sorry if the question seems dumb, but I feel like I'm over looking something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing. It is that easy...

JoeDirt is correct. I believe that no matter how much you change the code, the original code still works. I never understood this so people who previously owned or knows the code can get access to the vehicle at anytime

The real issue is that I live very close to you- I may have already gained access to your vehicle. I told you I know people at Borgman... :D

If you're lucky Kdoggy, Joe has already broken in and cleaned the interior for you! No, it wasn't the underpant gnomes:D

So whats to keep someone who knows the factory reset code from reprogramming the keyless entry to gain access to the SUV?

What am I missing here?

Sorry if the question seems dumb, but I feel like I'm over looking something.

The factory code will always work, regardless if you have a personal code programmed or not. So I guess if they knew the factory code they wouldn't need to go to the trouble of programming another code to get in, they would just use the factory code to gain access. The moral of the story is to keep the factory code a well guarded secret.

If you're lucky Kdoggy, Joe has already broken in and cleaned the interior for you! No, it wasn't the underpant gnomes:D

Lynchy, you been watching South Park again mate?

:biggthumpSouth Park is the duck's nut's, isn't it? I bloody love that show mate!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The factory code will always work, regardless if you have a personal code programmed or not. So I guess if they knew the factory code they wouldn't need to go to the trouble of programming another code to get in, they would just use the factory code to gain access. The moral of the story is to keep the factory code a well guarded secret.

Newbie here so please be easy.

I have a 2004 Explorer that I bought used and did not come with the "wallet" card that had the factory code on it.
After doing some research on the internet, I was told to remove the rear interior panel by the seat belt to access the computer which should have the code on it. Is that correct?

Welcome aboard! :salute:

I will post a link to the write up when I get home. Stand by..........:popcorn:
Posted via Mobile Device

Newbie here so please be easy.

I have a 2004 Explorer that I bought used and did not come with the "wallet" card that had the factory code on it.
After doing some research on the internet, I was told to remove the rear interior panel by the seat belt to access the computer which should have the code on it. Is that correct?

Here you go:

Check out this thread for locating the security module, thanks to Welli for a great write-up!!: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246957&highlight=entry+code

Hope this helps out!

Geeezzz.. I mean DUMB QUESTION, not dump! :D

Anyway, well, that almost makes me want to clip a wire and disable the thing.

What started this whole question was the fact I only have one key and Borgmen wants $78.00 for another one. My wife got all upset with me for wanting to spend $78.00 dollars for a key and came up with the idea that I should just LEAVE my only key IN the SUV and use the keyless entry. I said I didn't think it was a good idea because I thought you could access it with the factory code and if the key was just in there, guess, what, stolen car.

Her reply was well you got full coverage so who cares. Also she thought I was wrong because Ford wouldn't make it that easy.

Yea screw that! :)

Btw I have a complaint Joe, you didn't do a very good job cleaning my car. I still see dirt. Please come break in and detail it again.

For anyone in the greater Grand Rapids area- I leave my key in the ignition all the time. No ring, just the key, plugged in and use the keyless. I've done that ever since I had Snowball. ;)

I'll clean it up better once spring is here- you won't even know I'm outside. I'll be quiet. :D

For anyone in the greater Grand Rapids area- I leave my key in the ignition all the time. No ring, just the key, plugged in and use the keyless. I've done that ever since I had Snowball. ;)

I'll clean it up better once spring is here- you won't even know I'm outside. I'll be quiet. :D

I'm not really getting my Explorer detailed am I? I'm very sad now. :(

Back