Luggage Rack question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Luggage Rack question

Popeye1959

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Silverado LS
On my '03 Explorer Sport, I have the 2 luggage rack rails that extend the length of the roof but no cross bars. There are no channels, slots, grooves or unused holes in these bars. Are there cross bars that clamp to these at all or is that all there is to these and just for looks mostly. I'm wanting to install some small 55W driving lights to a cross bar pointing backwards. Two reasons for that, I want to be able to light up the boat ramp when launching/recovering my boat, and for those ignorant, clueless Sonza Beaches that don't get the hint about tapping your brake lights to get them off your bumper.

I suppose I could clamp something across and mount the lights to that, but really don't want it to look like a cobbled together, rejected, piece O' crap, redneck configuration.

I got a pair of brand new still in the factory box off ebay last year.Some guy had them sitting around picked them up for $65.

The factory cross bars were a dealer installed option. I don't think many were sold. You are right they do clamp around the rail. You can search e-bay or craigslist or I know the aftermarket has them too , like Thule or Yakima

I looked at both Thule and Yakima and was hoping to find something less, for lack of a better word, conspicuous. Low flat and not extending over the sides is what I'm looking for. I'll see what the local boneyard has.

Back