• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid?

arcticguy57

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
First, this is an awsomee site! I've got a 92 explorer with a 5 speed standard transmission. The door code for transmission says "M". I was checking the fluid level and noticed that the tranny had regular 80-90 gear oil in it. My book says it may be a Mazda or a Mitsubishi tranny. Anyway, I called Ford and they couldn't say for sure but they thought it was a Mazda tranny, which takes Mercon auto trans. fluid. 1. How do I positively identify my tranny? 2. If it has the wrong fluid in it, how much damage would that do? Oh Yeah, tranny had a sticker with the following numbers on it: F87A FA D677787. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are very few auto's that use gear oil. It doesn't flow well, and is best suited for a few manual trannies. Mercon/dexron III is what you need as it is most likely an A4LD. I'd drain it, flush it, and flush it and get it filled with that correct atf soon. :roll:

Sorry I didn't mention it's a 5 speed manual. Thanks

Then some do. Usually, they don't but I have seen several T5's running gl5. Jeep CJ's, mustangs, but its rare because the thickness of the gl5 doesn't flow well through the smaller oiling holes in the internal parts. If its in there in a manual, it must be working though and to fully clear it out would just about require a disassembly. I'd keep it fresh and let it go :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help Stang! Any suggestions on how to identify this tranny?

Oh Yeah, tranny had a sticker with the following numbers on it: F87A FA D677787.

That looks like a FORD part number.....they should be able to tell. IF not, someone in the service dept could crawl under to tell you.

Aloha, Mark

Arctic guy,

There were 2 manual transmissions used, a Mazda R1 and a Mitsubishi M5OD. My recollection is that the "M" code is for Mazda and a "D" code is Mitsubishi. You probably have the Mazda, but I'll look up the code for it and confirm it with you.

The Mazda tranny needs MERCON or equivalent automatic transmission fluid (ATF), definitely not 90W gear oil. Some of us use synthetic ATF. It seems to help the transmission last longer and shift better, especially when its hot.

Bob

Manual Transmission Type and Fluid

Well, I was partly right. I checked my Ford DIY manual for 92/93 Explorers and it said that the "M" code on the certification plate mean "manual transmission". However, elsewhere in the manual it says that code "M" is for the Mazda R1 and code "D" designates a Mitsubishi (MMC) FM132 or FM146.

My Chilton book for the 91/92 Explorer lists a Mazda M5OD-R1 transmission with a Ford part number of E87A FA on the transmission tag. This sound like yours except for the "E". The Mitsubishi transmission should be marked FM132 or FM146. Apparently the "E87A" just means "transmission assembly", so the FA designates the transmission type on the Ford part number.

Hope you're not confused at this point. I am, but I'm pretty sure that you have the Mazda trans.

Anyway, the Mitsubishi trans takes 80W oil but the Mazda trans must have MERCON ATF, or equivalent. (Note that MERCON V is not equivalent to MERCON).

Bob

OK, I subscribe to alldatapro. Here is what I can find

The Mazda M5OD 5-SPD O/D M/T uses ATF as shown.
The Mitsubishi 5-SPD M/T uses gear oil, for more information on the Mitsubishi 5-SPD M/T, refer to 1991 Ranger 4x4 with 2.9L engine.

Here is a breakdown of the Mitsu tranny
tranny.gif

They don't have a break down of the external mazda tranny though. You can compare the looks of that picture to yours though. If it has gear oil, and you've been running it with that, then you must have the mitsu tranny. Otherwise, it would have died relatively quickly

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html
You most likely have the mazda transmission. The mitsubishi 5 speed has a removable bell housing, whereas the bellhousing on the mazda is cast into the transmission case. The mitsubishi transmission takes gear oil, and the mazda transmission takes atf, but when someone changed the fluid they may have put gear oil in instead of atf if it is a mazda 5 speed. My friend has been running gear oil in his ranger with a mazda 5 speed for several years now and has not had any problems with it. But if you have the mazda i would flush the gear oil out and refill with atf.

Thanks for all your help guys. I downloaded some pictures of the mazda M5R1 and the Mitsubishi. I took my pictures and crawled under the ex and you guys were right on. It has a Mazda M5R1. I drained out the gear oil and flushed it twice with Mercon ATF fluid. It runs and shifts great. The clutch was replaced by the guy I bought it from about 10,000 miles ago. How much damage do you think that oil did to the tranny? Thanks again

Hello, everyone. After lurking for a while (and finding GOBS of great information, which will lead to my donation haha) this thread has answered a lot of questions for me. Yet, I am still stumped to a point. I wanted to bump this thread because I followed a lot of the advice I was given here and am making sure I'm on the right track.

I was "given" a 92 Explorer. Come to find out this thing is, well, interesting. The truck came with (according to the certification plate) an automatic transmission. Funny thing, this thing is a 5 speed manual. No biggie, someone swapped it with a manual and made it quite far. Pedals and everything! However, the rear output shaft seal is leaking fluid and spraying it all over; clutch engages and shifts but is a bit stiff. Obviously, I need to fix the seal, bleed the lines and change the fluid, etc. But now, here I am, not really knowing which transmission this is. Mind you, this vehicle is a ******* of parts from many different trucks. Below are some pictures...can anyone identify if this is the Mazda or the Mitsu trans so I know which oil to put into it? At current, it has brake fluid in it. I'd appreciate it and thanks. This is a great forum and am glad I found it.....

Bad seal..obviously haha
008.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

Brake fluid in it? If you have a removable bell housing it's one type and if not it's the other. It is in the previous posts. Welcome to the site dude.

Well, after doing some back reading and comparing (I swear this board is the BEST) I've found I have the Mazda transmission....F17A-PB (Ford Code) which cross references to the M5R1 4.0L tranny. Soooo....I guess it has the wrong fluid in it. Good thing I checked; when I redo the output seal I can flush it out and put the right fluid into it! Thanks for a great site!

Well, after doing some back reading and comparing (I swear this board is the BEST) I've found I have the Mazda transmission....F17A-PB (Ford Code) which cross references to the M5R1 4.0L tranny. Soooo....I guess it has the wrong fluid in it. Good thing I checked; when I redo the output seal I can flush it out and put the right fluid into it! Thanks for a great site!

Good job. And many here will thank you for using the search. That seems to be a rare occurrence.

Your right, that is a m5od-r1. The easy way to tell if you have a mistu-be-**** or Mazda --- The mistu's have a removable steel pan on the bottom, it looks like the pan on an auto trans.

Thanks, snoranger! Yeah there isn't any pan I can see on the bottom so I guess I was right. Oh well, I guess I know what I need to get done....that and the entire front end steering to tear apart. Again, thanks everyone!

Thanks, snoranger! Yeah there isn't any pan I can see on the bottom so I guess I was right.

Its hard to miss, the pan is about 6" by 10" and has a big drain plug right in the middle.

a drain pan, what a great idea!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK I'm a dork...seen it...drained it...fixed it...I don't know what I was thinking...okay I wasn't HAW

Thanks

Back