Whats yall thoughts? Ignition Coil Pack. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats yall thoughts? Ignition Coil Pack.

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I was looking at Ignition Coil Packs, friend of mine said his EX showed some same symptoms mine has been doing and it was his ICP along with a few other things. Well I looked up ICPs and found that there is Moto and Accel, while there is a price different, motocroft being cheaper.. the Accel says its built for longer spark duration... Whats yall thoughts? Would the accel be worth it or our Exs has to stay with the moto brand no matter what.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a stock system, spark duration will be exactly the same, that is controlled by the ECU, not the coil. The motorcraft will last longer and may be more reliable, because the Accel shorts the coils for higher voltage, basically giving you the same voltage running as you get on startup. You can run a wider plug gap using an Accel or Screaming Demon coil, but, the life of the coil pack is usually only ~60k-100k miles.

At least that has been my experience. I use a Screamin Demon coil, and I have a massive plug gap. Works fine, and for $90, I can replace it again in a couple years without feeling bad.

At least that has been my experience. I use a Screamin Demon coil, and I have a massive plug gap. Works fine, and for $90, I can replace it again in a couple years without feeling bad.

Do you know what gap you run? I have an Accel coil and have been experimenting with wider gaps.

I have an Accel and to be honest I can not tell any deference between it and the stock one. I went with Accel because I got it cheaper then the stock coil pack. I do know I run with stock plug gaps now I did go a bit bigger and it ran it easily but I feel stock is just as good as any thing for OEM DD. now if your going to go all out then go screaming demon

0.062" on autolite iridium plugs. Engine is basically stock aside from the KKM intake and a set of cleaned and flow-matched injectors. No misfires, and I don't expect to see any, though I am pushing it a little bit I suppose. I'm sure I won't have any problems within 60k miles, and I will have a different engine in long before then anyways, so..... oh well.

I have an Accel and to be honest I can not tell any deference between it and the stock one. I went with Accel because I got it cheaper then the stock coil pack. I do know I run with stock plug gaps now I did go a bit bigger and it ran it easily but I feel stock is just as good as any thing for OEM DD. now if your going to go all out then go screaming demon

Screamin Deamon costs ~the same as the accel coil from summit racing

lol well my motor already has 225k miles so not sure if itll last another 100k would like it to... but the Accel is 50 while the moto is over 100 im trying to find screaming demon now to look it up, i saw screaming demon supports upto .065 on their site, i know i need to do plugs they are cheap champions from Wal Mart but I got Moto wires, the ignition coil is the stock one from 1993. Screaming Demon is 100 Accel is 65 and Moto is 100

0.065 on copper plugs.... just remember, metals like platinum or iridium are nowhere near as good a conductor as copper.

As for accel for $65? WOW where did you find that price?

after doing a little research i found the cheapest of each item, Accel is on eBay brand new w/ warranty for 50 + 15 shipping. found Screamin Demon cheapest at Summit and Moto from Advance

I have been running a Screamin' Demon Coil for over three years now, with Motorcraft Platinums single electrodes at .065 gap. Idle is smoother than stock Coil. Very pleased, no problems. About 240,000 miles on the truck now.

I got moto wires already that i did last year, i need to get rid of the cheap plugs, but i think i might do the screaming demon because im hearing good things about it. just gotta wait till extra money comes in.

OK SOO did a little research.. I lost the page, ill try to find it again.. Ford Forum said to do screamn demon w/ 10mm wires and a .065 singe probe plugs... that it would increase mpg and little hp.. install it all, then reset ecm w/ the negative off for 15 mins and the three tap method...

anyone do it with those wires?

Naw, I used the Live Wires wires. I like them and the coil, but I can't tell much difference from stock, except smoother and and my idle dropped about 100 rpms. mpg's didn't change much.

didnt think to ask, yall who have done this, did you have to change the pattern on the pack or just pop off the wire and put em back on?

someone said you have to change spark pattern with the new SD coil pack

Nope, everything is the same. Plug and play easy. It seems there is a bit of controversy regarding the price vs performance, ie value, of the LiveWires. I like em, but that doesn't mean they are markedly better than other premium brands. I bought them together since it made sense to me to do so.

I did gap the plugs right away to .065 and no problems. Currently, I am using ultra expensive Extreme Spark Star spark-plugs that have a massive gap and the SD coil fires them no problem. Using these plugs made a difference that was measurable in my mpg, but only 2mpg so far in long term use. They don't foul easily. Since I was running a cracked head for over a year, I constantly had to clean the plugs, about once a month. With std plugs every week sometimes before missing kicked in when the heads got real bad.

the more i keep reading the more i see that single prong plugs are the best to use with this kit.. wonder why.

Thinking of this Summer doing a BBK TB while I put on the SD pack

Ignition systems can be a bit of a mystery. My bet would be the resistance of wires and plugs and how they interface with the coilpack.

I recently installed the BBK. You'll like it. IMHO it works better than the TB mod on a stock one. I know many say no noticeable change, but I picked up 1mpg on the hiway, which ain't much, but I don't have to downshift to 4th on the big hills like I did before the BBK.

I bought new Motocraft wires for mine and they made a difference. I'm interested in the demon coil pack though. The BBK TB won't be very noticeable on a stock motor and they run around $230. A hot tune alone would really open her up at every rpm. Just my opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not stock, lots of new, plus this an that, plus more... with the bbk and c&l and ud pulley this summer

edit: 230??!?!?!? more like 100 ebay

Back