dome light in 1994 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dome light in 1994 Explorer XLT

FordGirl28

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I just purchased a '94 Explorer XLT and the dome light doesn't work. In checking I discovered there is no bulb. I never had to replace the bulb in my first Explorer so I don't know if it's just the bulb that is missing or part of the light assembly.

Could someone post a picture that would show me how the complete dome light assembly should look without the bulb? Please and thank you.

if you look up in the holes where the bulbs go, you should see a flat slot, with a metal prong on each end. if you see that, just shove in some bulbs (sylvania part number 194) and you're good to go.. remember, there are 3 bulbs. one in the center is the dome, ones on either side are your map lights

The middle one is actually a 906, according to the owners manual. It is a larger bulb with the same base as the 194. A 194 would work, just not as bright as new.

Also, I had to chase a problem with this light working and found I had to pinch the contacts in the socket a little bit to grip the bulb tighter. If you have to do this, be sure the door is closed, otherwise you could short a contact and blow a fuse.

I'm not able to pull the map lights out without removing the silver reflector 1st.
I think the bulbs were still original in my X. Almost everyone I replaced was frozen into the sockets.

Back