First time Ford Explorer Owner, UGH... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First time Ford Explorer Owner, UGH...

If it is red oil it would not be coming from the motor.....

Its possible that the truck shot a line but it just seems very wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine does it have and how many miles?

179,243 miles

The paperwork says 5.0L V8 EFI but I thought it was a 4.0...?

hmmmm very questionable of the dealer now if the papers say 5.0 but is a 4.0

By any chance is this Explorer you have like a light green in color?

Well My 97 has lines from the Transmission going into the radiator and yea it has pressure, and runs up under the engine so if one of those was only clamped with a hose and not aluminum all the way from transmission to radiator It could very well be transmission and be from in front or under the engine. However I don't see how a timing chain could harm those lines.

If the timing chain did break. From my understanding you could have damage to your valves. I would tell them its a lemon now and start getting out of this deal.

The conclusion to this ordeal is that I received my money back. I asked for the tow bill and $20 in gas I put in but he declined. I'm out $120 but at least I learned something from this experience.

Tomorrow I will be looking at a 1999 Explorer with only 130,000 miles on it. Hopefully I have better luck with this one.

Wish me the best!

Sorry to hear of your first Ex. Hopefully you can make it happen. Good luck. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad that all you're out is the $120. Tough but better than getting a vehicle back that they fixed sub-par just to get it back to you as cheaply as possible.

Also glad to hear it hasn't scared you away from all Explorers. It's unscrupulous dealers you need to worry about, for all kinds of cars.

Best of luck & keep us posted!

Sounds fishy to me that the CEL was "burnt" out. Did you see the bulb? I'm thinking they pulled it like Jon said.

Glad that all you're out is the $120. Tough but better than getting a vehicle back that they fixed sub-par just to get it back to you as cheaply as possible.

Also glad to hear it hasn't scared you away from all Explorers. It's unscrupulous dealers you need to worry about, for all kinds of cars.

Best of luck & keep us posted!

It definitely hasn't scared me away because I went right back out looking for an Eddie Bauer edition.

I found a 1998 Expedition V8 Eddie Bauer & couldn't be happier. I'm hoping I don't have the same bad luck I did with the Explorer.

Even the little things on it make me happy like blinkers in the mirrors or the running boards with lights. This thing is a beast but probably going to kill me at the pumps. I put $20 in and almost got a quarter tank, hah..

It's worth it, I'm happy & hopefully I don't have to tell ya guys about mechanical issues. I'll make sure I service it regularly & take good care of it.

:burnout:

Can I still post on here now that I have a Expedition instead of an Explorer?

Back