Oil type recommendation. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil type recommendation.

SwaintaN: How many miles on your 93?

225k miles on mine and still runing strong, brand is really up to you, i prefer Mobil 1 but thats because i was more so trained to use it because of testing that i saw and information on google you can find.

I agree with wbrudi28 use Lucas Syn in instead of one bottle of reg oil.

I saw you said 10w40 ive never ran over 10w30 in the ex and it seems to be fine. Now the Jeep and Van get 5w20 but they are under warranty and thats what it calls for.

Brand is all on you, find a brand your happy with. Ive been raised around m1 so im an m1 family.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I add to this age old dilema, with another

If I may butt in, this will proabably get moved to another thread, again.:chug:
So I have read in some thread that syn leaks, cause the molecules are smaller than petro. If true, does ANYONE!!!! have any kind of data related to the recommended type of oil filter use in accordance to the type oil used. For instance, does syn need a more "dense" filter to perform correctly or would we use a "less dense" filter. Or, is there any noticable difference between filter brands. If this type of info is here, I missed it or didn't look hard enough.
Seeing you all were talking about oil/filter combos.
TX divizio

Let me add this. This morning a few of us where talking. I told them about the syntheic
and I was going to use it. They said the newer cars are coming from the factory with syn oil in them and have different seals in the motor. And that my 93 would probably leak witrh original seals. Any truth to that?

i cant answer the leak thing, mine has always had a leak, a very slow leak so i cant tell ya on that one. if your afraid of a full syn leak you could always do a Syn blend. Ive heard that to though that older cars dont hold up to synthetic oil either but never seen "statics" to show it

What I use
M1 Syn Tranny Fluid after I did fluid flush and filter replacement.
M1 Syn for the Front/back axles.
M1 Syn Oil
Bosch Oil Filter

Summer Project, ill be using a stubby m1 filter for the secondary inline tranny filter.

I'm going to still use it. If the leaks are minor compared to superior protection. I'll take that trade off and just keep and close eye on it.

I have mobil 1 in both front and rear diffs and transfer case. Just have tranny and engine to do.

yeah i swear by that brand it seems to work best for me imo, when i did the tranny filter and fluid change plus added second tranny line cooler... shoo wee can tell the difference!

Cool, It's time to change the oil, do some spring cleaning. Been a long winter.

Thoses are tuff. Hard to find. I had a penny fall into my cigarette lighter and I didn't know it. I looked for almost a year before I found it. It would drain the battery at different rates.

hopefully it's something as easy as the battery.

ok soooooooooooooo there was a mechanic here at my house yesterday working on my wifes van, i talked to him about the oil situation. HE SAID...

The full synthetic oil can cause a leak in the older model engines IF.... they have not been kept up, normally what people think is a leak... is actually where a seal already cracked cause of age and gumped up with crud, the synthetic has a cleaning agent in it that will eliminate that gumped crud and will look like a leak. However if you have a seal that looks like its leaking after a synthetic flush and oil change, the seals we get today from parts store even for the older cars will hold up to the synthetic performance. He recommends to every one of his clients to use synthetic. Also he said they have a display at his work (sense I wasnt there he just told me) of filters... Fram is one of the WORST filters period to use on anything besides a lawnmower. (he said all the filter are cut open so you can see how they work) Mobil1 and P1 filters are the best to use with syn or conv oil. followed by Bosch.

That was just his two cents.

Thanks for the update. This week-end the Explorer will get a full synthetic plus one Lucas oil stablizer treatment.

Back