Won't Idle and runs rough and 'STINKS' of rotten eggs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't Idle and runs rough and 'STINKS' of rotten eggs

pergolies

Reaction score
City, State
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 NorthFace
Hi guys, gotta a wierd one here. Took the car out this morning and it was running fine. Come home and gave it a wash. Now for some strange reason it wont idle on LPG (just dies when you take ya foot off the pedal) and runs like a sack of ****e with very little power. The smell from the exhaust is like really really bad rotten eggs, worse than a normal cat smell. What makes this even stranger, is that it runs fine on petrol (gasoline), and you dont get the smell from the exhaust. I'm stumped!!!

Its a 1999 4ltr Explorer with LPG conversion.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the stench, my guess would be a plugged cat, but I have 0 experience with LPG vehicles.

If it hadn't of happened just in a split second i would of suspected a cat problem but i dont think its that. The engine check light has been on for awhile with the usual lean on banks 1 & 2 code error. This problem only occurred after i washed the truck which might be just a coincidence but strange. Any how, i just went out to check the truck again and its running ok now.......whats that all about!!!!

Next time it does it, try wiggling around the plug wires. One of mine was burned from the manifold, and immediately started doing the same thing as yours- the poor idle, running, and egg smell. It was on the way home, I knew the wire was bad, it was arcing off something under there. I pulled on the passenger side wires, and it went away. I have replaced them since, and nothing has happened since.

Cheers Joe, i did suspect water might of got into one of the plug leads after i washed it, as it was showing the classic symptoms. Only thing is, why would it run ok on petrol but not on LPG. The LPG system usually switches off if theres a problem. Cant work it out!

Only thing is, why would it run ok on petrol but not on LPG.

I'm not familiar with LPG systems, but if I understand this correctly - There are 2 fuel sources on the motor, one being petrol and the other being LPG? If so... and it runs OK on one and poorly on the other, then I would look at the fuel delivery system of the fuel source it runs poorly on.

Back