rear diff. Diagnose this symptom? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear diff. Diagnose this symptom?

It shouldn't be that difficult to find...

Just look for the same gear ratio in the replacement rear end... The differential setup is the same whether it is auto or manual...You will use the same driveshaft, hangers, brake components from the old differential, etc...

You will need to remove the axles to unbolt the brake backing plates so you won't need to open the brake lines and then remove the ubolts and one side of the leak springs and pull the old unit out then reverse the process to install the replacement...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the time being to get gear oil into the differential you can remove the abs sensor from the top of the pumpkin and add a quart or two from there. You might get a substantial drop in noise after filling.

LOL
I'm in here taking a break after just now removing the back cover. I'm also grabbing the camera so I can get a good pic of it.

Now... I haven't drilled a hole for a new fill plug, yet, so I may look into that option. I'd offered that idea to a couple of people who naysayed it, without giving a solid answer why, so while the weather's good, I'll consider that option.

Well, the noise has changed somewhat. Not quite as pronounced, and certainly not as readily apparent at about 45 mph. Can't be sure what else is making noise until I get new tires on it, probably tomorrow. I drove it about 10 miles - mostly highway - and noises are coming and going... any idea as to how long it might take for the diff to adjust (if at all)?

Here's some pics I took during the process...

Before I sprayed it clean:
diff1.jpg

And after:
diff2.jpg

diff3.jpg

Something to remember....if you do a complete rearend swap DO NOT reuse the U bolts,get new ones.I don't care if anyone says "oh sure,just reuse them" don't do it.

Cheap insurance.:D

man do I love Fords but hate this roaring!!!

*I want to start by saying I dont know my gear ratio, only that I have AWD/4X4 but will find out and post tonight.

Got the same problem but here is how mine came about....

I got a new car and the gf just wrecked her mustang so I let her drive the EX. Well last week on wednesday she decided on letting our 2yr old play in the front seats while she was waiting on a friend to show up and apparently my lil girl turned the 4wd low on(gf never checks her vehicle before driving it always assuming nothing is wrong). She drove it about 15mins through traffic to the other side of town, called me and said the transmission is messing up again cuz the dash showing the 4wd low and flashing the o/d light, proceeded to drive it home about 25-30mins more through traffic and the city streets. The next day I go out and find the actuator switch was turned on, took the EX out of 4wd low back into normal operation. drove it around got the loud roaring and thought she killed the transmission. Took it to the shop and they said she damaged the pinion bearing bad enough for an entire rear end rebuild(qutoed at 800-1000, plus another 500 for new/better gears so basically $1500). Also have a clogged EGR system now too but no price quoted on that. I love my EX have way too much money and time invested to trash/junk her.

So what would be the best bet? I can get a rear carrier assembly for $67+tax(pumpkin only) or I can get an entire rear end assembly(axle to axle) for $165+tax(no shipping as there are about 350+ explorers in our you-pick-em type places here in dallas which is only 45mins away). I dont want to have to worry about this issue ever again and dont mind putting good money into this rearend part by part to have a good quality piece to put under my EX(i.e. ring, pinion, bearings, gears etc, etc). I know its my choice and I dont really see any issues with the axles only the carrier/differential so any insight appreciated. Working on a week to week paycheck so any help regarding cheapest best parts is appreciated as well.

P.S. sorry for the long post but I have to get this problem fixed. Also I literally just got off phone with my mechanic and he said buying a used rear end and fixing it would be throwing money out the window. Said buying all new parts for it would be more expensive than just having them fix the bearing for $1000 any opinions on this?

Back