Wire Harness Questions

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
I've pulled in a new wiring harness into my Ranger build.

Original truck was an 86 2.9 5 sp. 4x4 (frame, fuel pumps, sending unit reused).

Onto that, I've dropped a 90 extended cab body which had a 4.0 auto, 2wd. I'm using the dashboard, and all cab electrical (except the PCM).

And the engine is a 94 block with 98 intake, and 93 sensors with a 93 full engine compartment harness, ECM, distribution block, etc. Harness and ECM was from a 93 manual-shift Explorer, which I chose to work with my C4 non-electronic transmission.

I'm having problems getting the ignition switch to turn over the starter and I believe that my issue is in the clutch/transmission/neutral saftey loop, which is not satisfying some requirement to close the starter circuit.

I believe that most everything else will work with this swap, but I can switch out to the same 93 Explorer dashboard and wiring if that is required to make this all work.

Any ideas from the swap gurus out there?

Love to hear this thing start up one of these days!

Rearpassengerside.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might be able to help you with it. Do you have the nuetral switch on the tranny? Basically, if I understand the different harnesses you used (and correct me if I am wrong) power is hot at all times at the fuse (60a) then to the ignition switch via yellow wire to ignition switch, then hot along the R/LB wire to the clutch triple function switch then should engage the starter. Hope that helps, I'm writing this based off of memory right now, so i don't have my diagrams in front of me lol. But I would first check to make sure.power is being sent from the ignition switch to the clutch switch and then check for continuity between that and the start solonoid and if there is a break in between.

I might be able to help you with it. Do you have the nuetral switch on the tranny? Basically, if I understand the different harnesses you used (and correct me if I am wrong) power is hot at all times at the fuse (60a) then to the ignition switch via yellow wire to ignition switch, then hot along the R/LB wire to the clutch triple function switch then should engage the starter. Hope that helps, I'm writing this based off of memory right now, so i don't have my diagrams in front of me lol. But I would first check to make sure.power is being sent from the ignition switch to the clutch switch and then check for continuity between that and the start solonoid and if there is a break in between.

Your description sounds about like what I traced on the diagrams. Locating the wires is another thing... :rolleyes:

The C-4 does have a neutral switch. I'm not completely sure if it is compatible with the other wiring (not worried about connectors, but voltage, signal, etc.).

Is this a pure 12V switched circuit or does this go via the ECM?

Oh, and thanks! :thumbsup:

The first gen pcm does have an input for the neutral safety switch but that is not tied into the starting circuit. The neutral switch is just a simple open or close switch. When it closes (in neutral) it continues the 12v to the starter solonoid. Now if it cranks, but doesn't start, then in would start looking into hooking up the neutral circuit into the pcm, but the good thong is the pic should be there (pin 30 iirc)

The first gen pcm does have an input for the neutral safety switch but that is not tied into the starting circuit. The neutral switch is just a simple open or close switch. When it closes (in neutral) it continues the 12v to the starter solonoid. Now if it cranks, but doesn't start, then in would start looking into hooking up the neutral circuit into the pcm, but the good thong is the pic should be there (pin 30 iirc)

I'll be checking on this tomorrow morning. I have to first identify the transmission harness and determine which of the wires is the neutral. My PCM is for a manual, so no issues with transmission solenoids and such, but I may end up swapping out the cab harness if it does not play along with the rest of the system. I'm trying to avoid that, but whatever it takes!

Back