what chevy engines can be used in 94 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what chevy engines can be used in 94 explorer?

oxic_berry

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsilanti, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Explorer
hey everyone - my engine is kaput :( so i've been looking around for a chevy engine that would fit in a 1994 ford explorer limited edition.

what kind of engines would work for a simple drop-in? tips and a little help would be very appreciated :p: thanks so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

None. A 302 will drop in fairly easily. Swap kits are available.

I'll tell you right now you wan't get much if any support putting Government Motors junk in your Ford.

That's morally wrong! haha but your choice, if you want to put a chevy engine in it you're going to have to make your own mounts and figure out how to get it all to work. Dan is giving you the right idea, swap in a 302 :)

Anything that will fit can go in there, since you are going to be fabricating new mounts, new wiring harness, different transmission (or adapter), custom driveshafts (since the trans length will be different), custom exhaust, etc, etc....

OR

Get a 5.0 motor and it will pretty much drop in, with a swap kit. All the hard work is done for you.

Though I have only been an owner for a few months, it is becoming really clear that a '94 explorer is what it is, and does what it is meant to do pretty well. This makes me happy because I needed a good winter vehicle, and it does that in style.

To do any serious modifications seems to me, problematic. You can put a big ford engine in and a beefy transmission, etc... but at that point, why not just get a vintage Bronco? I Love my Explorer, it fits me, never doubt that. But, if I wanted something to jump over boulders, I'm not sure I would start with an Explorer as a base. Then again, some people love the challenge, and the opportunity to weld stuff up and make things work. I completely respect that... I sometimes wish I had a shop and equipment to support that kind of fun.

More directly, since it is going to be some serious work, get exactly what you want, power curve, gas/diesel, whatever. The world is your oyster.

lol you guys crack me up :p: but i'm really interested in using different parts that may have potentially better effects than the stock explorer parts. granted i have put 150k on this engine but chevy engines aren't terrible. i do agree that the explorer is epic in and of itself, but i want an engine that will match the life expectancy of the body (which is in almost perfect condition, minus the bumper stickers and the wacky paint job i was messin around with during a very boring summer).

the 302 and 4r70w combo from the 2nd gen explorers that is the normal 302 swap for 1st gens is extremely reliable and agreed to be the best power train ever put into them.

are you sure?

J/k Techie is right.

A Cheby engine in a Ford?

Attachments

• 2011-03-07_1908.png
    2011-03-07_1908.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,007

Haha! I wouldn't put a Chevy engine in a Ford... I wouldn't put a Ford engine in my Camaro either.

Hey...you can put a Land Rover engine and tranny in an ex as long as you are willing to do all the mods to go along with it. I just don't understand your logic. Chevy engines are great..I've owned them...But in Chevys ! Why don't you just buy a full size blazer.?

Chevy engines are no better than Ford engines. If you want a Chevy engine in an SUV, Chevy makes SUVs, and aside from the weird 4wd, an s-10 blazer is a pretty close contemporary of an explorer. The stock 4.0 in an explorer is amazingly stout, generally they outlast most of the other components in an explorer. A 302 would be the best replacement you could do if you want a different engine with more power or whatever since it is a common swap and the 302 is roughly equal with a SBC for performance, aftermarket and reliability.

You could do a mid to late '80s TBI injected small block, with a 700R4. You should be able to find a complete drivetrain relatively cheap. You could also go with an older small block, w/ aftermarket fuel injection,etc... I would say a carb is pretty much out of the question, due to the emissions requirements of your '94. On that note, getting it inspected could be an issue, as 1st gen Explorers did not have a stock V8 option at all, let alone a chevy V8.

While a 302 is a decent motor, for the same cost (or less), you can go with a small block 350ci Chevy. 48 more cubic inches. Yeah, you could spend some money and build that 302 into a 347 stroker, along with some more performance parts. OR.... you could spend that same money on the 350ci Chevy, and have a fire-breathing 383, putting more power than the 347 Ford, with less stress on the motor. (longer life) Also, when something does break, it's a lot cheaper to fix the Chevy.

Yes, Ford makes some good motors, as well as Dodge; and yes, there are performance parts available for them. The bottom line though, is that there are a much wider array of options for the small block Chevy, and they are usually significantly less expensive then the equivalent Ford or Mopar parts/upgrades. Give any fixed amount of money ($5k, $10k, doesn't matter) to one Ford guy, one Chevy guy, and one Mopar guy. Tell them they can build anything they want with the money, as long as it stays true to the Respective brand they've been assigned. They can use all the aftermarket parts they want, within the budget, but they must be based on their respective manufacturers design/architecture. I guarantee that the Chevy will always come out on top, followed by Ford, followed by Mopar; assuming that the builders have equal knowledge/skills. Why? You simply get more for your money when you are shopping for Chevy engine parts. Followed by Ford; with Mopar having the most expensive parts and with the fewest options.

To FIND: I actually think the Explorer is superior to the Blazer. I've driven various generations of both, and the Explorer always felt more refined. However, the mid-90s Blazers, with the Vortec 4.3L felt more powerful.

If you want a chevy engine, get a chevy with a 350. Otherwise, drop a FORD 5.0

I'll try not to bash, but don't even think about dropping another brand engine in there. That's ridic-a-lus.

Some of these guys bleed blue... :D

I'd say that any small block will drop right in, and the upside is that you can run the very popular 700R4 transmission without an adapter. There are multiple transfer case options with that setup (the Ford one will not work because the splines and bolt pattern are different).

If you want it to be legal, however, it will have to be 94 or newer and have ALL the emissions hardware and electronics in place and working correctly. If this is off-road only, go simple and ditch all the electronics, run the engine on propane, and have fun.

lol you guys crack me up :p: but i'm really interested in using different parts that may have potentially better effects than the stock explorer parts. granted i have put 150k on this engine but chevy engines aren't terrible. i do agree that the explorer is epic in and of itself, but i want an engine that will match the life expectancy of the body (which is in almost perfect condition, minus the bumper stickers and the wacky paint job i was messin around with during a very boring summer).

How much fabricating are you capable of?

I'v eput 350 with 350 tranis in Chevy Vegas, Jeeps, a friend Volvo and his Toyota Pickup. Anything is possible. We spent a lot of time Measuring and creating mounts, and suspension to make the cars sit and ride right.
Just put a 572 CI old school Cross Ram Hemi in a 1968 'Cuda. http://www.raybarton.com/engines.htm
That was the toughest custom job so far.
So If you have a set of torches, a welder and some sheet steel, you can do anything and make it look stock.

I agree with most I would not put a Chevy v8 in an explorer but it’s your truck and your dime so do what makes you happy. The first thing I would do before I even started to ask this question is I would check with your DMV and find out what you can and can not do. here in Calif. for example you have to smog to what ever is newer the motor or the body so that leave out any hot rod 350 Chevy unless your willing to also change all the wiring and computers and mix the two up big time to make it a working truck. Now that’s if it will be street driven as off-road only is a whole nother game.

So be fore you plan or set you mind on a motor I would be checking like I said with the DMV if it’s to be street driven.

Trader! haha just kidding! A GM engine swap would be wicked. IDK about a 350, but i know a 5.3 vortec would be crazy awsome! but there is the problem of fitting it in the engine bay. You'd have to cut your hood open and make a cowl for it to fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that you will find a 350 is simply much larger and heavier then a 302,while they can both make about the same HP and torque.:D

Back