• Register Today It's free!

Bad wheel bearing or other?

Sir Sam

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado!
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4L, auto, 119k.

Been hearing a noise that sounds very much like a bad bearing noise, after much testing and some mini slalom driving I have determined that the sound is worse when turning right. In addition to the constant noise it makes a "thump" noise that is consistent with vehicle speed. When the "thump"(like if it were a bad spot on a bearing) occurs I also feel it through the driver side foot.

At higher speeds I feel like I hear noise from the rear, but at any speeds it sounds louder on the drivers side. I had a helper drive around while I sat in the far back trying to listen to noise and couldn't really tell that it was concentrated in the rear.

That being said after driving it and listening to it I decided that the front wheel bearing was the most likely culprit, and picked up a new hub and installed that today, of course it didn't make any difference.

My next thought was rear wheel bearing, but before I dump another $100 and 2 hours of my life to install it I decided to try and listen to the noise with the vehicle on jackstands.

What I noticed is a "Clicking" or "ticking" noise when the vehicle is in gear. I went around and chocked each wheel individually and determine it was not tied to any single wheel. After careful listening with my head under the vehicle I determined that the "clicking/ticking" noise I heard seems to be coming from the transfer case area.

Additionally none of the CV boots are cracked, none of the hubs feel warmer than the others after driving.

So my thoughts right now are:

Left rear wheel bearing is bad, and I should just go ahead and replace it.

Transfer case "click" is normal for operation and isn't tied to the problem I've having(and even it is abnormal I don't think it would cause a left/right turn problem, and would be more constant like a bad diff)

Any other advice for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is dayum hard to isolate, I wound up replacing both front wheel bearings at the smae time. I figured that I had a 50% chance of picking the wrong one, and that both would probably faileventually anyway. Only one was bad, but the second one was done quickly after doing the first one.

If I remember correctly, the first one I removed was not bad, so I was sweating replacing both fronts with a rear one being bad.

I am not looking forward to replacing the rears, they seem uch harder.

I am sorry, but I am afraid that I am no help in isolating yours; however, I would say that none of mine got hot and no boots were torn, either.

Well, I was thinking I could take the drivers side used hub and throw it on the passenger side just to check the passenger bearing, but I'm not sure its worth the effort to do that, my slolam driving seems to indicate the problem is on the drivers side.

Right now my best thinking is that the Tcase noise I heard isn't related to the bearing noise, and that the left rear is bad.

And of course, there is no noticeable play in the wheels to indicate the failed bearing.

Well, I was thinking I could take the drivers side used hub and throw it on the passenger side just to check the passenger bearing, but I'm not sure its worth the effort to do that, my slolam driving seems to indicate the problem is on the drivers side.

Right now my best thinking is that the Tcase noise I heard isn't related to the bearing noise, and that the left rear is bad.

And of course, there is no noticeable play in the wheels to indicate the failed bearing.

FOr all that effort, I would probably have two new bearings in hand. They are not that expensive and the time and aggravation of replacing them more than once is . . .

I agree with rhino, even more for the fact that most of the time when you replace 1 hub, the other hub is usually not to far behind from going. I replaced the drivers side on mine in October and guess what? The passenger side is starting to go. May as well do them both.

2002 Explorer 4L, auto, 119k.

Been hearing a noise that sounds very much like a bad bearing noise, after much testing and some mini slalom driving I have determined that the sound is worse when turning right. In addition to the constant noise it makes a "thump" noise that is consistent with vehicle speed. When the "thump"(like if it were a bad spot on a bearing) occurs I also feel it through the driver side foot.

At higher speeds I feel like I hear noise from the rear, but at any speeds it sounds louder on the drivers side. I had a helper drive around while I sat in the far back trying to listen to noise and couldn't really tell that it was concentrated in the rear.

That being said after driving it and listening to it I decided that the front wheel bearing was the most likely culprit, and picked up a new hub and installed that today, of course it didn't make any difference.

My next thought was rear wheel bearing, but before I dump another $100 and 2 hours of my life to install it I decided to try and listen to the noise with the vehicle on jackstands.

What I noticed is a "Clicking" or "ticking" noise when the vehicle is in gear. I went around and chocked each wheel individually and determine it was not tied to any single wheel. After careful listening with my head under the vehicle I determined that the "clicking/ticking" noise I heard seems to be coming from the transfer case area.

Additionally none of the CV boots are cracked, none of the hubs feel warmer than the others after driving.

So my thoughts right now are:

Left rear wheel bearing is bad, and I should just go ahead and replace it.

Transfer case "click" is normal for operation and isn't tied to the problem I've having(and even it is abnormal I don't think it would cause a left/right turn problem, and would be more constant like a bad diff)

Any other advice for me?

Sounds like the left front bearing. It will cost about $140 and will take about 2 hrs to do. The bolts are damn hard to het off. Make sure you have a good breaker bar and be patient, you will have very little room to turn the bolts.

To be sure, jack up the car and turn the wheel slowly. You will probably hear the drag. I'm sure it will be obvious.

You probably won't get any play or at leat enough to feel. If you can hear the noise it is almost gone. Repair it soon.

Back