• Register Today It's free!

18" vs 20" wheels?

paulfrank285

Reaction score
City, State
Union, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 EXP XLT
hey guys...the more I look at the new Explorer's pictures, the more I want the bigger wheels and tires...I ordered a XLT with standard 18". I want the 20" just because they look good, no other reason (for now). I compared the size with other rivals, of similar SUV (seats 7), most of them offer 17-18" as standard, 20" for top-of-the-line, so I feel better.

What do you think? Besides being looking good (also more expensive to replace), does it ride better with 20" than 18"? better handling?

They have not built mine yet (build date 3/30), is it possible or is it too late to tell my dealer to add the 20" rims if i decided to get them?

Thanks, need your 2 cents!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys...the more I look at the new Explorer's pictures, the more I want the bigger wheels and tires...I ordered a XLT with standard 18". I want the 20" just because they look good, no other reason (for now). I compared the size with other rivals, of similar SUV (seats 7), most of them offer 17-18" as standard, 20" for top-of-the-line, so I feel better.

What do you think? Besides being looking good (also more expensive to replace), does it ride better with 20" than 18"? better handling?

They have not built mine yet (build date 3/30), is it possible or is it too late to tell my dealer to add the 20" rims if i decided to get them?

Bigger wheels and smaller tires will never ride better.....The sidewall of the tires is what gives when the suspension doesn't.

Bigger wheels don't perform better either. They are heavier resulting in an increase in unsprung weight. Tires cost more and they are harder on brakes. But the do look good.

A.) 20" or larger wheels look "ghetto"

B.) I used to live in Union. Trust me, you'll be happier with the 18"s. With all the bumps, potholes, choppy pavement,etc..., the 20"s will rattle your teeth, and put more wear/stress on the suspension/chassis

@ Wightmn, not necesairly. A lot of manufactures are going from the smaller rims to larger ones for a weight reduction, due to heat treatment, and design process of different grades of aluminum, rubber actually weighs more, and less rubber is more eco friendly. There is no logical reason why a larger rim, will have a greater effect on brake life.

Im trying to find exact info on the ford wheels. But looking at the 20's compared to the 18's, there is a lot less material in the 20's.

ph.Dmechanical / manufacturing engineering.

20´s FTW !!!
Get them, youll never regret it, they look awesome, the limited comes with 255/50R20, its not like you are getting 35 or a 30 sidewall.
My uncle has a CX9, with the standard 20´s, with no problems at all.
Im still waiting for my xplorer, but I already got the 5 spoke 20's from the limited (great ebay deal by the way) with 4 255/50R20 Continental CrossContact UHP's, theyre sitting on my garage :D

I want the 5 spokes also, just havent been able to hunt them down.

Even if you wanted to change now, your stuck.

Your vehicle is locked in, no changes would be allowed as all parts have been allocated.

I agree with the others, the 20's are for appearance sake only.

Not sure if this matters, but on page 7 of the owners manual it states.......
"Notice to owners with 20 inch wheels and tires. When equipped with 20 inch wheels and tires the vehicle is designed for on-road use only and not off-road use."

That statement is to protect Ford in case the rim gets dinged offroad because of the lower profile tire and subsequent increase in the potential for rim damage. "We told you it wasn't for offroading".....

Even if you wanted to change now, your stuck.

Your vehicle is locked in, no changes would be allowed as all parts have been allocated.

I agree with the others, the 20's are for appearance sake only.

This isn't necessarily true, I was able to add the inflatable seatbelts 3 weeks after the dealer submitted the order. You don't know unless the dealer attempts it.. the system will either say no or "pending plant approval".

This is a minor feature that wouldn't screw up the assembly line order.

This isn't necessarily true, I was able to add the inflatable seatbelts 3 weeks after the dealer submitted the order. You don't know unless the dealer attempts it.. the system will either say no or "pending plant approval".

I doubt they will do this at the factory. Inflatable seat belts is an available 'option', ordering a different size wheel is not.

Razziel24,

What kind of deal did you get on the rims on Ebay? Also, how are you comensating the speedometer on the vehicle with different size wheels then what it came from the factory with? I'm contemplating this change on mine by the way.

You very well may have added the seat belt option. But your order wasnt scheduled and finalized yet. Yes you can make changes after you order, but before the vehicle is finalized.

This members vehicle is being produced this week. There is no way he is going to get that option added on that vehicle as that vehicle has been finalized for some time.

As I mentioned in another post, I doubt you can request the 20" wheels since they are not an 'option' available for the XLT. If wheels were an option, I probably would have ordered 17" ones for my Limited. Much less expensive tires and likely a little better ride.

I'm a bit curious how they can already offer reconditioned 2011 Explorer wheels when the originals have only been out for a few months. Exactly what was the problem with these reconditioned wheels in the first place?

No idea, it was just the only place I could find anything at all, I haven't called them yet either, just wanted to put that option out there if someone wanted to give it a shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Razziel24,

What kind of deal did you get on the rims on Ebay? Also, how are you comensating the speedometer on the vehicle with different size wheels then what it came from the factory with? I'm contemplating this change on mine by the way.

Hi, I got them on ebay for $800, brand new, from a guy who went aftermarket.
And then I bought the tires from tirerack.com

I ordered the same tire size the LTD version comes with (NOT hankook), so theres no noticeable overall diameter, heres what I got from the tire size calculator...

Original tire (245/60R18)
Sidewall: 5.79 in
Radius: 14.79 in
Diameter: 29.57 in
Circumf: 92.91 in
Revs/mile: 681.94
New Tire (255/50R20)
Sidewall: 5.02 in
Radius: 15.02 in
Diameter: 30.04 in
Circumf: 94.37 in
Revs/mile: 671.39

Speedometer reading with new tire is 1.57% too slow.
When your speedometer is reading 60mph you are actually traveling 60.93mph

I can live with 1.57% :)

Back