Another failed transmission story... and question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another failed transmission story... and question.

blackout881

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
Ok, so exactly one year ago i bought a 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer v6 4x4 with 66k on it to replace my 98 EB with 96k that had a whole mess of problems. My truck was running great, I left for my first ever vacation to Florida for a week (truck was garaged, kept nice and cozy, even waxed her before i put her away!!). Had a great time! Came back home, was on my way to work for the first time in 13 days...when all hell broke loose. I few miles in to my drive after accelerating after a red light my RPM's rose to 5k and SLAMMED into second, immediately followed by an assortment of chimes, flashes, and a message saying 'CHECK TRANSMISSION'. So i pulled over in to a parking lot and was speechless. I proceed to limp my truck to the dealer a few miles away, it clearly missing second gear. Where i drop it off, borrow a friends car and go to work. I have read about the infamous flashing O/D light of death, but i never thought that it would happen to me :(. I absolutely baby my truck. Wash it twice a week, change the oil every 3 months, flush transmission, and keep up with ALL maintenance.

I get a call back from the mechanic at the ford dealership i've been a good customer at, and he tells me the bad news. Im completely missing second and fifth gear, need a new transmission and a wheel bearing just to rub it in. He told me these transmissions are notorious for breaking down, they are too small for the truck. Im getting a re manufactured transmission from ford with a 3 year 30k warranty. Im not even going to say the price because i dont want to get sick.

and now for the one question i have...

Since this transmission is re manufactured, do they rebuild it with better internal parts?? I am not too educated on transmissions, but it seems to me that would be the most common sense thing to do... unless they just want you to buy a new transmission every 88k miles or whathaveyou. What happens internally when you suddenly lose 2nd and 5th gear with no prior issues?

Sorry guys, just had to vent. This whole situation is very depressing as i still have 4 years to pay off on the truck and lost my entire savings account to this transmission. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't tell you about your first question but about your second question...I had a 99 XLT that OD light flashed i lost the 2nd and 5 gears as well. I drove with it like that for so long and nothing happen except when you are at high speeds such as 55-60 it would sometimes drop in to neutral and you would have to pull over and shut/start the vehicle back up....:mad: it was pretty annoying. I didn't have any money to fix it so I just drove it like that.

Personally it didn't cause me anymore problems besides time and annoyance. Sorry to hear about your problem...dealers can be expensive...you should shop around before letting the dealer take you for a possible "ride" unless they were giving you a really good deal you can't refuse.

I did eventually changed the transmission on the 99 xlt(sold now) for a explorer transmission i got from a junkyard with low miles just body was wrecked for $800 with warranty and $500 for mechanic to put it in...never had problems again..grand total of $1300

once again sorry for the problem

needs a $20 servo piston

Transmission "Too Small"?

I get a call back from the mechanic at the ford dealership i've been a good customer at, and he tells me the bad news. Im completely missing second and fifth gear, need a new transmission and a wheel bearing just to rub it in. He told me these transmissions are notorious for breaking down, they are too small for the truck. ALL transmissions are notorious, thusly, AFTER they break down. However, great numbers of these vehicles easily exceed 200,000 miles without experiencing transmission failure. In your case, you have NO CLUE as to the "rigors" to which the transmission may have been forced to respond, such as continued heavy acceleration or towing, before you owned it.

Im getting a re manufactured transmission from ford with a 3 year 30k warranty. 3 yr./30 (or 36) are pretty standard for Ford Remanufactureds. Many others are considerably less, even 90 days.

Since this transmission is re manufactured, do they rebuild it with better internal parts?? "Better" is colloquial....rebuild kits contain the needed parts recommended for replacement purposes in the case of Ford Authorized Rebuilding. During the time interval of use of this particular transmission, Ford generates data regarding reported failure, and will upgrade materials quality or parts strength as deemed needed to avoid future prerdictable warranty claims. Those ugrades would be implemented in the rebuilding kits used.
I am not too educated on transmissions, but it seems to me that would be the most common sense thing to do... unless they just want you to buy a new transmission every 88k miles or whathaveyou. Today's "Information Age" caused a massive review by manufacturers regarding this sort of thing: The bad P/R resulting from frequent main component failure now causes loss of "Maker Loyalty" more than ever before. Therefore, manufacturers would RATHER your transmission last 200,000 miles rather than just the warranty mileage guaranteed, since loss of the continued-customer over the long run is a most costly loss.....

What happens internally when you suddenly lose 2nd and 5th gear with no prior issues? The internal major component "in action" in both 2nd. and 5th. gears is the OVERDRIVE BAND, assuming we are dealing with the 5R55S transmission. IF loss of the band operation IS the cause here, it could be due to band breakage or failure of the SERVO which applies the band to hold the COAST CLUTCH DRUM from turning. These items are easily replaced during a transmission disassembly; parts cost are small in comparison to the labor involved, of course. Repairing the failed transmission vs replacing it with a rebuilt unit depends on it's accumulated service mileage, it's use history, and the relative cost between the two procedures. SOME of this decision ought to be borne by the OWNER, obviously. imp

Sorry guys, just had to vent. This whole situation is very depressing as i still have 4 years to pay off on the truck and lost my entire savings account to this transmission. :(
////////////////

Wow. thanks for that write up. You put my mind at ease. Thank you.

I think imp pretty well nailed it head on. Personally having owned two Ford vehicles that have had major transmission and other issues I won't buy another one, an example of loss of "Maker Loyalty" that imp mentioned.

Having said that as far as transmissions and engines go my first choice would be to use a local. experienced shop with a well known reputation and history. In today's world the labor costs of having a dealer or local shop rebuild an engine or transmission would be very expensive and they may not have the skills or special equipment to repair your engine or transmission. From the dealers perspective its much easier to swap the major component with a factory rebuilt as it gets your car back on the road and out of their shop quicker and by using a factory component gives them less potential for callbacks and the ability to repair it under warranty (some one else pays) if it breaks.

My second choice would be to use a factory supplied remanufactured part for the reasons mentioned by imp, updated parts incorporated into the rebuild process.

None of these options is the cheapest, but are generally a known quantity and you do get what you pay for. Some are able to fix things themselves and that can significantly reduce the costs.

I think imp pretty well nailed it head on. Personally having owned two Ford vehicles that have had major transmission and other issues I won't buy another one, an example of loss of "Maker Loyalty" that imp mentioned.

Having said that as far as transmissions and engines go my first choice would be to use a local. experienced shop with a well known reputation and history. In today's world the labor costs of having a dealer or local shop rebuild an engine or transmission would be very expensive and they may not have the skills or special equipment to repair your engine or transmission. From the dealers perspective its much easier to swap the major component with a factory rebuilt as it gets your car back on the road and out of their shop quicker and by using a factory component gives them less potential for callbacks and the ability to repair it under warranty (some one else pays) if it breaks.

My second choice would be to use a factory supplied remanufactured part for the reasons mentioned by imp, updated parts incorporated into the rebuild process.

None of these options is the cheapest, but are generally a known quantity and you do get what you pay for. Some are able to fix things themselves and that can significantly reduce the costs.

Excellent analysis, Miker! How could I disagree with someone who agrees (with me)? imp

Wow. thanks for that write up. You put my mind at ease. Thank you.

As a "P. S.", I would regard swetrid's input as most knowledgeable; he does this sort of thing for a living, I merely theorize and bullsh!t.......imp

My transmission (I think) is going down this road too. I bought the truck in july last year, transmission shifted perfect, now with 13,000 more miles it shifts like sh*t. I do some towing with it (I tow a mustang sometimes or a 1 axle trailer) and sometimes I do have a heavy foot on the acclerater
Rough shift into 2nd, and a lot of times into 5th. From 2nd to 3rd gear (to shift) I have to quickly let up on the accelerator and push back down. It doesnt shift clean from sometimes 1-2, always 2-3, and sometimes 4-5.
Also I drive 30 uphill to get to my house, many times the tranmission will be in 2nd or 3rd, and all of a sudden will shift up to 4th or 5th.
I know mine is going to fail at some point, I just want to fix the problem before it fails.
Anyone help me out on this? I don't have the money to spend on a new transmission. :(

I'm at 115K miles in my oringailly purchased in May 2002 Limited AWD '02. Other than the tranny slipping a little it's been a serviceable truck.

When the tranny craps completely, I'll just bite the bullet and have a rebuilt put in and drive it until it has no residual value.

SO, tell us, what does Ford really charge for a swap??? Inquiring minds need to know (and set aside the cash).

...or the kidney.

Ford charges 3400 (includes tax) for a re manufactured trans with the 3yr 30k warranty. I priced around, it was 1900 for the trans at other shops, plus 800 or 900 labor with only a 90 day warranty. It would of been cheaper to just rebuild mine. Eh. My friend with an 04 explorer went down this road 2 months ago..he rebuilt his and it failed again a few weeks later. Id rather just pay a little more and have the dealership do it. a little peace of mind.

seeing as how i still have 4 more years to pay on the truck!!!! damnit.:(

Just picked up the truck. New tranny, 2 rear wheel bearings..4k..They gladly granted my request of a free PCM update. Aside from the money, the truck feels brand new. Shifts quick, easy, doesnt feel like you're pushing a clutch in a standard (anyone who drives this truck will know what i mean), idles nicely..now just needs to last me another 6 years with no repairs lol.

Ford charges 3400 (includes tax) for a re manufactured trans with the 3yr 30k warranty.

:eek: Wow 3rd gens are quite pricey on maintenance...my old 98 only cost 1800 for a supposedly "re-manufactured" trans from ford, that was many years ago of course.

......... It doesnt shift clean from sometimes 1-2, always 2-3, and sometimes 4-5.

Anyone help me out on this? I don't have the money to spend on a new transmission. :(

Help, no, but question: why are you towing (if I read your post right) without "locking out" 5th (overdrive) gear? imp

Help, no, but question: why are you towing (if I read your post right) without "locking out" 5th (overdrive) gear? imp

I turn off overdrive when towing the Mustang. The small trailer I don't tow enough to even bother with turning off overdrive.

And I didn't mean it shifts rough just when towing. Its all the time.

Hmm. I never knew if i should turn off O/D while towing..I only tow a small fishing boat a few months out of the year. So i guess i should do that huh?

Hmm. I never knew if i should turn off O/D while towing..I only tow a small fishing boat a few months out of the year. So i guess i should do that huh?

Not turning off O/D while towing with an automatic transmission is like driving up a steep hill in 5th gear with a manual. The engine bogs down and the transmission can overheat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a small boat too, loaded with camping gear its about 300-400lbs tops.
My Ex is a 4.6L v8, with 3.55's, rarely do we have O/D off, only time is on a steep hill, you can kinda of tell when to turn it off as it will shift in and out of O/D or called hunting gears. It can't decide what gear it wants to be in.
When its doing that we turn the O/D off. Another time we pulled a pop-up 2000lb in hilly area, then the O/D was off. Most of the time its on for us again light load couple times a year.

Back