Rear suspension problems on a 2000 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear suspension problems on a 2000 Explorer.

Sic'em

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
A few months ago I noticed that my 2000 Explorer was leaning in the rear to the driver's side. I first replaced the rear shocks. This did not solve the problem. Next, I had it diagnosed at the Ford dealership. They said it was a bent leaf spring on the driver's side and wanted $1,100 to fix it. I paid the diagnostic fee ($65) and went to a salvage yard for a pair of rear leaf springs from a 2000 Explorer ($160). I just got finished installing the used leaf springs and IT STILL LEANS to the driver's side.

Any suggestions as to what else might the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all, Welcome to the site!

Second, do a search up top on 'leaf spring removal/swap'
It's known as the 'Gangster Lean,' most of the weight (fuel tank, driver.. etc) is on the driver's side, causing the spring to wear. Most people fix it by swapping out the driver's/passenger's springs. I fixed it by doing that, and adding in Pro-Comp Add-A-Leaves from www.summitracing.com. Some people suggest cranking up the driver's side torsion bar to try and level the Ex, I personally did not do that.

Yep, most second gens lean to the drivers side.
Everything Brandon said... plus, you could also swap in a f-150 leaf for both sides. Theres a thread on this forum about doing that as well.

Welcome to the forum

I have a 2000 XLT and it leaned too ad still does a little. This is because the gastank is on the driver side and so are you, the driver.

Shackles?

Is there a possibility that the Shackles (the part that connects the leaf spring to the rear of the frame) have worn out? Anyone ever hear of this happening?

Thanks so much for your help!

Shackles connect your leaf springs to the frame. They do not wear out as they are just a connecting point. Some people have replaced the shackles with a longer set to raise the rear of the truck.

OK, thanks for the help. I have found a solution that seems to work. I ordered a Hellwig 815 helper spring kit. I installed it on the driver's side leaf spring. Now, instead of a 1.5 inch lean I have a .5 inch lean. You can still notice a slight lean, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Sorry about that. It's fixed now.

has anyone tried flipping the jeaves

replaced real leaf springs

I have a 2000 ford explorer sport and I just replaced both leaf springs with a heavier duty spring and it still has the lean to the driver side. any suggestions?

Back