How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac

glad to hear all your hard work paid off,

here is my new project, dual dvd by rosen, installing them in my factory headrests and connected to the lock pick

I will post back more of installation when I have more time.

picture.php?albumid=15821&pictureid=63427.jpg

picture.php?albumid=15821&pictureid=63428.jpg

picture.php?albumid=15821&pictureid=63429.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice

Can you advise why you had to hook up to your sunroof feed and will it be necessary to cut the 2 pinks?( I assume the pinks are the ones tied to the 2 blue w/black stripes)

Can you advise why you had to hook up to your sunroof feed and will it be necessary to cut the 2 pinks?( I assume the pinks are the ones tied to the 2 blue w/black stripes)

It may be different for you, but the lockpick was interfering with the CAN-BUS system in my Sport Trac. By using the switched feed in the sunroof circuit, it provided the correct delayed accessory circuit. If you just hook the lockpick up to the switched circuit at the radio, it will turn off when you turn the key off, even when the radio hasnt shut off (in the case of you not opening the door yet, etc.). The sunroof circuit leaves the +12v going until you open the door, just like the radio does. The radio uses the CAN-BUS system to determine when to turn off.

By cutting the 2 pink twisted wires, it disables the lockpick from sending or receiving any data over the canbus system, which keeps it from screwing with the sat tuner and radio. I'd be interested if others have had any of the problems with the can bus interference or lockpick shutting off before the radio, causing a white screen.

I was lucky, no problems here; everything worked for me on the first try.

I may try one more time to remove the screws for the ribbon cable cover. If they round out, I think I will send the lockpick back to coastal, and go another route for the camera screen. I already wired the camera to the front of the cab of the ST, it's ready for hookup. I'm one of those that just hates to butcher a piece of equipment. I thought about one of the rear view mirror monitors, but with the sync and all the other electronics involved with that, it may be more trouble than it's worth. The other alternative was a visor monitor.That looked like it might be a fairly clean installation. I wouldn't think there would be any difference between the 07 and 08 ST setup or the Mountaineer for that matter. Will advise which way I end up going.

just a thought, but how about heating up the screw driver and then hold it on the screws for a bit to transfer the heat to the threads and then try and losen it.

I was thinking about that, as long as it doesn't get the plastic cover too hot and melt it in the process.
Thanks

Hi 84convertablegt,

Very informative post, you guys are pros ;) can you please help me with step by step installations of the front and rear camera also with the subwoofer part with images and instructions, would really appreciate your assistance. i have the aftermarket unit installed and now am stuck with further installations mentioned above.

Thanks
Steve

Hey 84convertablegt,

Also need help with the "black plug that came with the deck that has ten different colored wires"

Thanks Steve

I found an electronics tech who gave me the lowdown on removing the loctited small screws in the factory radio. He tightened them up slightly which broke the loctite and they all backed right out. Installed the lockpick for use with a backup camera only, it worked great.Then it happened....the screen went white, the radio was garbled etc. I thought the radio was fried. Took it out again figuring I had a bad connection....nope all the connections were good. One of two things left, the lockpick module is bad or something happened internally on the radio. Put the radio back to stock, reinstalled it and it runs fine, gps, sync, all of it. I sent an email to Coastal to see how they want to handle an exchange, no response yet.

If anyone is interested, I'll have the "Trustigo" Navigation deck for sale soon. I also have two new in box buckup camera's as well. Had it in my Ex for less than two months. I decided to go with something else and will post pics soon in the for sale section soon. PM me if interested.

If anyone is interested, I'll have the "Trustigo" Navigation deck for sale soon. I also have two new in box buckup camera's as well. Had it in my Ex for less than two months. I decided to go with something else and will post pics soon in the for sale section soon. PM me if interested.
What are you going to go with? I would have maybe ditched mine as well but my wife likes it and she's not annoyed by the quirks like I was. Im just enjoying the oem style nav. myself.

Vipersinu2, where did you permanently mount the lockpick module?

mine is just resting inside the dashboard.

I was originally going too place mine behind the AC controls, but the wire isn't quite long enough. I located a spot on the drivers side next to the heater ducting that will be out of the way and accessible. I don't want it just hanging somewhere...can't stand rattles.
Exactly where is yours resting?

I had enough length of wire. To rest it under the ac controls. The camera wire just made it, I had to pull the driver side carpet up and run straight line to the Lock pick or it would never of reached.

What are you going to go with? I would have maybe ditched mine as well but my wife likes it and she's not annoyed by the quirks like I was. Im just enjoying the oem style nav. myself.

I've been looking at a couple Alpine and Pioneer nav units. I'm not sure if I want to spend more $$ or just go back to stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I am planning to install the OEM tailgate camera on my STA and use the stock NAV radio as well. I have been searching through the thread here, on F150 and Superduty pages - I cannot seem to find the part number for the connector at the radio end. Does anyone have that? Need the connector number and the number for the service terminals inside.

Back