when buying a used 5r55e what should be done | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

when buying a used 5r55e what should be done

jmoracco

Reaction score
City, State
amarillo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer4x4
I am forced to buy a used 1998 5r55e. I have a few questions with band adjustment from what i have read is it really 2.5 turns back or is it 2 turns, just want to be sure. and should i go with mobil 1 or just normal mercon5. should i also do the shift kit or wait and see how the trans feels when i get it in? THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 turns on the front band, 2.5 on the intermediate. I just rebuilt my trans successfully and that band adjustment spec was right on the money.

Any name brand mercV is going to be fine.

a shift kit is easy enough to do with the trans in the vehicle., so either way I dont think it matters, except for the extra labor of pulling the pan and the replacement fluid. I would recommend putting a drain plug in the pan when you get the trans though. And since you're in there at that point, a new filter.

If the trans is out, install as many of the upgrade parts as possible. Do the VB kit(not shift kits, they are correction kits), Sonnax upgrade parts, and EPC solenoid(Borg Warner) at least.

Also while it is out...

Do the intermediate and o/d servos...They are so much easier to do with the tranny on a bench...

Oh yes, do those with it out for sure.

Thanks guys for the good info!

with the servos, is there a thread on them cause i have no idea how to replace them, this is my first go around with an automatic. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this transmission as reliable as possible. once again thanks for the info, knowledge is priceless..

I have the trans out, I have the filter kit, do the other components require cracking the trans open?

I think what I might do is try rebuilding my broken 5r55e (has no first gear) and then swap that back in later on if this one eventually fails.

I have the trans out, I have the filter kit, do the other components require cracking the trans open?

no. All the upgrade parts mentioned are in in the valve body.

yes. Make sure you strictly follow the torque specs.

Back