Oil Filter --very strange

CATBACK

Reaction score
City, State
Wva
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6
Hi guys,,

I helped my daughter buy a 2005 Explorer V6, after her 2001 mustang was TOTALED, last year.
It was time to change the oil so she and her boy friend were doing this today when she called me to ask if I had any problem with the oil filterwhen I did the change a few months ago.
Apparently they were replacing the oil filter with a new one, but it would only take 2 turns to tighten the filter, and of course leak like a sieve. They had bought a FRAM and even took it back for another one, thinking it had some defect, but the second filter also did the same thing. (BAD BATCH??)
I told them to check it against the OLD filter and they eventually had to put the OLD ONE back on to make things work again. She is driving back home so I can put it up on the lift to see what they have done and what the deal is.
I told them to go with Motorcraft for these Fords so I guess I'll have to go fetch one up for them and put that on the car.
Anything but a FRAM. Just wondering if anyone else ever had such an experience. Maybe a factory defect where the wrong threads were cut on the LOT, is all I can think of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure the gasket from the old filter isnt stuck up in there, causing there to be 2 gaskets when u put the new filter on.

I asked her BF is he checked that the OLD gasket was not stuck up in there and he said it wasn't, but I have my doubts. A dble gasket would create such a problem, so my money says thats the issue.
Like the old saying goes "if you want something done right, do it yourself"
I'll post what I find when I look at the filter.

ive had the old gasket stick on there, causing the filter not to seat flush on the metal part on the oil pan. started the truck, and oil started spurting out. removed the filter, removed the second (old, stuck on) gasket and added another half quart to compensate for what was lost.

i'd also check the threads on the FRAMs that were purchased to see if there were any metal shavings on the threads...just to make sure the actual threading on the truck isn't mangled.

Make sure the gasket from the old filter isnt stuck up in there, causing there to be 2 gaskets when u put the new filter on.

+1

Had the same thing happen on my Tbird once. Also, "tightening" that quickly could mean cross-threading. Hopefully the boyfriend didn't torque it tight while cross-threading...

I have a fram on mine. Works great.

Sounds like the old double gasket to me.

I agree, both gaskets. Done that before, now I always check the old filter before installing the new one

I would have kicked their ass for buying a FRAM filter to begin with.

Do as others have stated above by checking the gasket. Then make sure to buy a Motorcfraft filter.

First oil I did on my Explorer I had the double gasket whammy. Oil everywhere.

First oil I did on my Explorer I had the double gasket whammy. Oil everywhere.

Oh man....I just did one this weekend on my Altima.I always check the old filter to make sure the seal came with it before putting a new filter on. I like to use WIX filters and Mobile 1.

As far as that filter only going on for two turns,I'm wondering if it's cross threaded.

Well ...here is what I found. I pulled the old FRAM off and my daughter also had the new FRAM that gave them so much grief.
I had no issue with the one they tried to put on fresh but did note the old filter gasket was not secured on the old filter when I pulled it off. I must say, I never recall seeing an oil filter gasket seperate from a filter top.
To duplicate the problem, I put on a double gasket and sure enough the symptoms were as she had described to me over the phone. 2-3 turns only before it tightened. I passed on the leak test.
I checked both of the filters they were screwing with for thread damage and found none, plus the engine side looked to be in good shape as well.:thumbsup:
Put on a Motorcraft and new 5w-30 synthetic and its all good to go.

Back