How long will new clutch pack last? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long will new clutch pack last?

canuckjgc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ex V6
I've got the driveline shudder in my '02. Clutch pack is $1500 including tax etc.

How long will this repair likely last? I don't mind putting money in it if I can a few years out of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how long it will last...going through the same thing now. My local tranny shop qouted me $900 in a worse case scenario if the inner wheel bearings are bad. I guess it depends on if you need all internals replaced. I'm going to find out if he uses Ford parts or aftermarket. That will probably determine life expectancy. How many miles do you have on your Ex? I just turned 69k and in the last month I've replaced 3 bearings and now moving onto the clutch packs. Best of luck!!

Yep, rear diff. The Ford dealer wanted 1000 just for the clutch pack replacement. The 900 is if the inner axle bearings are bad as well. He said it would be 500 for labor the other 400 would include the clutch packs and the inner bearings if needed. Is it a bad deal? This shop has done 15 of these compared with the other shops in town that haven't done very many or any at all.

Mins is the rear diff as well. About 90k miles on it. Want to know if I'm going to have to do this repair again in the nearish future.

You might want to change your diff fluid and put in new friction modifier before you replace the clutch packs. I have read where that has cured quite a few shudders.

Thanks - yeah I changed the fluid and added friction modifier and that lasted a few months, shudder is back again.

I replaced my fluid and added friction modifier this last Saturday and so far it is much better but still there. I'm hoping it will continue to get better.

I'm definitely curious to the cost of new clutch packs though. Because that might be something I'd like to do in the future.

Back