Explorer comes in last place in Motor Trends 7 passenger CUV comparison | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer comes in last place in Motor Trends 7 passenger CUV comparison

The question is, becomes.

Was the Explorer MT tested actually a pre-production vehicle or was that Ford's PR "spin" once they saw the test result...?

It wouldn't matter at this point if it was gold plated and had magical elves that would drive it for you. The tone of that blog was that he was not, and will never be wrong.

By the date of manufacture, I'd hesitate to call it pre-production. I can tell you that I don't share their opinion of the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Editors that wrote this article are confused as to what to think about the Explorer... It is more "dialed in" now since their test model was built. The TQ steer thing isn't an issue at all, Ford may have used the EPS to help tackle the problem. It is a very attractive very comfortable vehicle. I wish that they would've covered some of the strong points, like the terrain management, or how quiet the interior is as I am sure it was the quietest vehicle in the group. But in the end this is Ford's fault, its like going to a job interview in board shorts, tank top, and flip-flops. It doesn't matter how qualified you are you are going to get slammed in that interview. Ford should've looked over and tested that vehicle themselves, they didn't. It is very possible that it could've just come from another test with another magazine where they beat the heck out of it and then passed it on. It could've been on its 4th or 5th magazine test for all we know. MT and the editors are not to blame, Ford is to blame. We've done the test drives, we know what it is capable of and that's why we are upset. Fact of the matter is, this new Explorer is winning back customers and so those customers are going to be upset when something like this is published after they passed on their old favorites. I hope that Ford addresses this publicly and challenges them all to a rematch with MT as the officiator! Now that would be PR at its finest!

the explorer with 52% of the votes still even with people reading bad about it

MotorTrend is car magazine, not a truck magazine. I suspect that reflects on what their readers expect from a vehicle, ie more car like than truck like.

Just my meaningless opinion but I had been a subscriber to Motor Trend since I was about 12 years old (most of which was a free subscription since I tried to cancel time after time and they would give me 7 years for free). My overall opinion of the mag is simple...They suck... and have always been an anti-Ford Mag. Again, just my experience...

-Matt

Wow. That's all I have to say about that retort. You can actually here the hate in the writing. Not very professional IMO. So I will take it for what it's worth. Nothing more than some pedantic diatribe.

they are owned by SOURCE INTERLINK MEDIA which has enough publications in 4x4, off road, etc.....

http://www.sourceinterlink.com/divisions/sim/

What's that have to do with the fact that their readers are mainly car enthusiasts, not truck enthusiast?:dunno:

Rick said:
MotorTrend is car magazine, not a truck magazine. I suspect that reflects on what their readers expect from a vehicle, ie more car like than truck like.

What's that have to do with the fact that their readers are mainly car enthusiasts, not truck enthusiast?:dunno:

its a cross over the 2011 ex not a suv not a truck, they run enough magazines imo to do actual research.

but the 2011 on up ex is not a suv its a crossover. like a flex, or an edge.

Well,
All I have to say is this. I have been a chev man for about "forever". I was just in the market for a vehicle, with seating capacity for seven. I test drove from A to Z. The vehicle that we chose to buy was the EX. My friends almost crapped in their pants when they found out I chose a FORD. My reason for doing so was it was the best crossover vehicle on the market ( my belief). I researched vehicles for approx 4 mos before I made my decision. I test drove Chev, GMC, Acura, Mazda... no seven seater Dodge pretty much everything. The explorer beat all hands down. I purchased a tuxedo black limited with all the bells and whistles. I have been driving it about 2 and a half months. The only problem I encountered was snow build up inside the 20" wheels which makes the vehicle shake. This happened once over the winter and we have had a ton of snow. What I do know is this. I love the EX. It handles like a car and has a ton of storage space compared to the competition. It rides smooth and technololgy package is out of this world. When we were downtown the other day I let the EX park itself, and it did. All I had to do was operate the gas and gears. Kids loved it. The view through the dual sunroof is breath taking. I haven't experience any rattles wobbles WOTS SPATS or silver back gorrilas at all. Nav package works excellent.... except you can't get traffic updates in Canada. This is no fault to FORD as it is a privacy issue in Canada. Laws forbid people from tracking your vehicle, even though it's not stored on a computer or server. Different story all together. As for the pieces under the rear wheel well. I never even noticed them. Does it really matter that much. I am pretty particular. Seems to me people are picking fly poop out of pepper. What I do know is FORD has a winner with this vehicle, mine works like a charm and I am completely satisfied. I could go on and on, but my keyboard is running out of ink. And that ladies and gentlemen is from a CHEV man.

If Traffic Updates is not available on Canadian models because Canadian Law forbids people from tracking vehicles can you explain OnStar and XM NavTraffic?

XM NavTraffic is available in the major Canadian cities and OnStar totally tracks your vehicle.

Hi guys,

I’m sorry I missed this post before. I would like to know if you’re still having these concerns and if so, I’d like to offer my assistance. So I can escalate this, please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

If Traffic Updates is not available on Canadian models because Canadian Law forbids people from tracking vehicles can you explain OnStar and XM NavTraffic?

XM NavTraffic is available in the major Canadian cities and OnStar totally tracks your vehicle.

Yes these are available in Canada. However, XM Navtraffic does not use a server as ford does and does not track your car. It works along the same lines as the nav package that is downloaded on the SD card. ON star is the same lines as the 911 package and only locates your car when there is an emergency. It does not track your car. Ford "tracks" your vehicle and sends info back to a server that computes your travel. This is why it is an invasion of privacy. Niether XM nor ON star do this. Cheers.

This test was done with the first model that came out. After all of the fixes the vehicle is in much better shape now. It will continue that way in the future. All the vehicles it went up against in the test have had several years to get things right.

MT also rated the 2008 MDX I'm driving now very high, giving it high marks for drivability on winding roads. But, in the three years I've owned it I have never went out joy riding on the back roads to experience the "handling". I can't say I know anybody that pushes there SUV around S turns on the weekends. I have a G37S to do that:) When I started looking to replace the MDX, my requirements were a comfortable, quiet ride that could fit 7 people and haul stuff on the weekends. We drove all the contenders, including the Toureg, and the EX was the clear winner for what we wanted. The EX was quiet, comfortable, loaded with technology, and had plenty of room. These reviews are much more in line with what I experienced: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Ford_Explorer/

Now, if I could get an approximate date for delivery I would be happy :)

"...pushing their SUV around S-curves..."
I have to admit that I push my 5-speed manual X5 around on/off ramps every chance I get, and I enjoy the S-curves too, though I have way too much fear of something bad happening on the open road to REALLY push it. I was pleasantly surprised by the "weight" of the steering in the Explorer- not the over-boosted vagueness I was expecting. Not BMW level fun, but not luxo-cruiser bad.

For most SUV drivers, at least where I live, the purpose is hauling kids to practice, commuting to work and other everyday driving. I'm not sure many people buy an SUV with the intent on taking it to Laguna for track day :) If I want that kind of driving, I have a car for that.

Just a little tidbit of sales info I found:

Jeep Grand Cherokee sales (7,612 units) improved 130 percent compared with January last year (3,311 units)

In January, the all-new 2011 Explorer sales totaled 7,351, up 73 percent.

Data from:

http://forums.trucktrend.com/70/852...to-sales-figures-ford-chevy-ram-tr/index.html

The new GC's selling quite well.

Okay, that's my little input for the forseeable future. Have a good one.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford would probably sell a lot more if they were on the lots, or would arrive in a timely manner.

All the Jeep dealerships around me, have a lot of Grand Cherokee's on the lot.

Back