No vin number after almost 2 months | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No vin number after almost 2 months

drumguru1

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I called the dealership today and was told that there was still no VIN number. I ordered my Explorer on 2/22. From what I've read on this forum that seems to be terrible. Seni, please let me know if this is acceptable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered date: 3/25
Vin number: 4/11
Waiting for build date

Something fishy, ask them from order confirmation

I waited 7 weeks for one. I ordered 1/28...still no truck.

Called Ford customer service today and was told that my vehicle didn't have a vin# assigned to it yet. I have been without a car for two months and can only afford to do this for another five weeks. Hope to get it by the 3 month deadline or I'm walking. (initially told 8 to 10 weeks). This was 7 weeks ago that I ordered mine :(

Ordered date: 3/25
Vin number: 4/11
Waiting for build date

Something fishy, ask them from order confirmation
It seems the Ford plant is in your back yard in Chicago so thats probably why its not going to take yours to long. Just a guess.

ordered 3/8, got my VIN in about 2 weeks, build date 3/30, SYNC 4/1.

dealer allotment issue?

Probably so. I should have just gone to dallas and ordered it there. The bigger the dealership the faster you get the car. I would think. Maybe not.

I ordered mine on 2/9 from the largest volume dealer in the country. Galpin Ford in Van Nuys, CA.

I checked again yesterday. I still have no VIN number. No build date. No nothing. Nada. Zilch. No information whatsoever. They haven't got a clue when I will get the car.

Just $1000 less in my wallet from the deposit.

Good times.

I feel your pain. We should get free oil changes for a year for this hassle.

I see your free oil changes and raise you free gas for a year. :thumbsup:

In any case, we'd need the vehicle first before that starts sounding like compensation for the frustration.

update! just got a call from my dealer; car is here!!!! so they are pretty fast:

order 3/8, build 3/30, SYNC 4/1, arrived 4/12! so a little bit more than a month!

I dont think that ford would give us free gas considering that would cost more than the dang vehicle. Haha. Gas is expensive and it's only going to get worse. Glad I traded my hemi ram 1500 in for the explorer. That's if I ever get mine.

Must be nice. Congrats! It's been 6 weeks not even a vin number :(. Enjoy your Explorer!

So... Do I need to switch dealerships? Does this have something to do with it? I purposely picked the largest volume dealership in the country. I figured they would have better allotment, but if it's a custom order... Does that even matter? I'm ready to switch. I'm ready to do anything. I just want the car!

Lucky you paulfrank, I'm in Northern NJ also and ordered on 3/7... Got my Vin# 4/8.....Hoping for a build date soon!

According to my dealer (small and local), large dealerships do not get their cars any faster (i.e. special priority) than small dealerships. Each dealership gets put into the same build queue based on order date and the specific model/accessories/color ordered.

I ordered my Explorer Limited (Rapid Spec 300A) on 2/23. It was built on 3/24 and had an initial ETA of 3/30. After a hold (most likely for a Quality Issue according to Seni), the car was released for transit on 4/8 and arrived at my dealership today (4/12).

I was told that you can be assigned a priority by the dealership and if they dont put you high enough it takes longer. I don't know. By the time my explorer actually gets here the 2012 models will be out. haha

I just switched dealerships an hour ago. I couldn't take it anymore. I went to a smaller dealership that I like a LOT more and they pulled one they had ordered for stock and put my name on it for the build. Should happen quicker now. Even if it doesn't, at least I know something is happening.

I'm happier now for having done it, regardless.

I just switched dealerships an hour ago. I couldn't take it anymore. I went to a smaller dealership that I like a LOT more and they pulled one they had ordered for stock and put my name on it for the build. Should happen quicker now. Even if it doesn't, at least I know something is happening.

I'm happier now for having done it, regardless.
Wow! I hope the dealer change works out for you! From the increased amount of positive posts I am seeing here, I am hoping the production process is going more smoothly now. I ordered mine on 3/18, so I am only a little ahead of you.

I almost went to Galpin myself for the same reason as you: you'd figure a large volume dealer would have more clout.

However, I finally decided to go for a more local dealer. We shall see how it works out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called the dealership today and was told that there was still no VIN number. I ordered my Explorer on 2/22. From what I've read on this forum that seems to be terrible. Seni, please let me know if this is acceptable.

I would like to look into this situation, however, I understand that you do not have a VIN yet. Please send what information you do have, possibly an order number and dealer code, via private message. I will try to review my system this afternoon or tomorrow morning and get back to you with your status.

...It was built on 3/24 and had an initial ETA of 3/30. After a hold (most likely for a Quality Issue according to Seni), the car was released for transit on 4/8 and arrived at my dealership today (4/12).

Congrats!! I am glad to hear your Explorer has arrived!

~Seni

Back