A/V In Audio Video Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/V In Audio Video Not Working

MJN

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 Limited
Has anyone had any luck with the A/V in connections? I tried to get my Zune working and have tried other devices as well without any luck.

Connecting the Zune with both USB and RCA cable does not do anything. The Microsoft Zune menu item in the media center only recognizes audio files. It will not recognize video files. Connecting the USB connection locks the Zune to the "Connected" screen so you do not see anything on Zune screen anymore until you disconnect USB.

I tried connecting to A/V in only so I can control video from the Zune directly but only the audio is working. The MFT screen just dispays the three wire graphic with no messages. The audio from a video file works fine though. I get the same results with other devices connected with RCA cable. Only the three wire graphic displays on the MFT screen.

All testing was done with vehicle in park.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's working the way it is expected. I'm using a Zune in our X with no problems, and have used both methods.

When connected via Zune USB cable, you will only get audio, as that's how it is designed. Once connected in this manner, you have to use the MFT screen to browse and play music. Personally, neither me or my daughter (who normally has her Zune plugged in) like this interface as it is much slower and not as robust as the normal Zune screens. If you want to play Video from your Zune, I think you need to get the Home A/V Zune kit so you can dock your Zune, and then run RCA cables from your Zune to the AV inputs. I've thought about doing this, but personally don't see enough demand to watch video in front seat while parked. By design you won't be able to watch video while driving.

Our preferred new method to play the Zune is to connect with a mini-stereo/RCA cable. Doing this the 3 colored plugs show on the AV In screen, and you just use the normal Zune screens to play music. No downside here, but the mini-jack headphone plug isn't designed to send video, so you won't get it this way.

I can get what you descibed working exactly like you described it. It is just the video connection that is not working.

The supplemental My Ford Touch manual states following:
----------------------
In order to playback video from your iPod/iPhone (if compatible), you must have a special combination USB/RCA composite video cable. Once the cable is connected to your iPod/iPhone , plug in the other end into both the RCA jacks and the USB port.
----------------------

It specifically mentions the iPod but I would assume Microsoft would make sure their own Zune worked the same way.

I am not sure what generation my Zune is but I do have a cable that goes from 3.5mm mini jack to the yellow/red/white RCA connections. I can hook it up to my TV or monitor and the TV automatically becomes the video screen for viewing the Zune and the handheld screen goes black. The settings menu on Zune has a display configuration where you turn external video output on.

But I should at least be able to hook up the Zune to the video in jack of the MFT. But I get nothing.

What I am basically wondering is if anyone has got any video source to work with the A/V in jacks?

I don't believe you have the correct cable? The USB/RCA composite has both audio/video & usb.

I think it's been shown the AV jacks work for video. In one of the threads (DVD in the subject I think) an Xbox is shown hooked up to the front LCD and COD Black Ops is being played.

Again, I didn't think the Zune headphone jack put out video. That's why the Zune cable (that plugs in the bottom) connects via USB to a docking station, which then has a USB/RCA cable that runs out.

I think there might be a bug in the latest v2.7 because when I was parked I plugged my video cable in off my iPhone I got the warning message saying "Video function not available while vehicle in motion"

I tested using a red/white/yellow-to-red/white/yellow RCA cable to connect a portable media player (mainly to test videos) to the MFT/Sync, no video. Then I tested again with another device using a 3.5mm-to-red/white/yellow cable, still no video (I hear audio of the movie, so I am sure it's connected). Again, I connected my Sony MP3 player using 3.5mm-to-red/white RCA cable, no problem, I can hear songs stored in my MP3 player...

I still don't understand why the video doesn't work...special cable required? some setting I have to change?

Red and white RCA is audio only no video. Yellow RCA is video

3.5mm stereo jack only does audio it does not pass video, thats why you hear the movie but dont see it.

Apple products require the cable that has the Apple only connector on one end and the Red/White/Yellow RCA on the other end.

I have not had any success passing video from an Apple device to SYNC using the Apple standard USB/Apple Only connector cable.

Maybe because you have a special explorer 340a rapid tech pkg? I don't know where that pkg came from i know ford make a 302a pkg lux seating etc... Not a 340a pkg are you sure you have a ford explorer ? Lol

Maybe because you have a special explorer 340a rapid tech pkg? I don't know where that pkg came from i know ford make a 302a pkg lux seating etc... Not a 340a pkg are you sure you have a ford explorer ? Lol

Check out Ford.ca vs Ford.com

:ca:340A = :usa:302A

I have not had any success passing video from an Apple device to SYNC using the Apple standard USB/Apple Only connector cable.

I got one movie playing with audio and video one time. No luck on any other attempt. And I have had several different outcomes. Sometimes nothing in MFT, sometimes video and no audio, sometimes video with audio coming out of the iPad, sometimes audio and no video. Very bizarre, but honestly it's not something I would use anyway. If it worked while driving maybe, but while stopped I would just watch the video on my larger iPad screen. Although it would maybe be nice to be able to leave an iPod connected at all times with a few movies on it.

Red and white RCA is audio only no video. Yellow RCA is video

3.5mm stereo jack only does audio it does not pass video, thats why you hear the movie but dont see it.

Apple products require the cable that has the Apple only connector on one end and the Red/White/Yellow RCA on the other end.

sgt1411: i understand the basic of red/white/yellow....my cable is a 3.5mm-to-RED/WHITE/YELLOW (for both audio and video)...my portable DVD player has a designated A/V out (I use the DVD player just for testing, not that I am trying to play DVD from the player back to MFT, it would be stupid as my DVD player already has a monitor)..something like this http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-3-5mm-R...0Q/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1303079020&sr=8-14

i am not testing any iPhone or iPod products as i am anti-Apple!

Apple is a communist !!

......Apple products require the cable that has the Apple only connector on one end and the Red/White/Yellow RCA on the other end.

I have not had any success passing video from an Apple device to SYNC using the Apple standard USB/Apple Only connector cable.....

sgt1411: you need more than that....you need something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-Aud..._1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1303079431&sr=1-2

RCA(red/white/yellow) AND USB to apple connector.

See MFT Supplement Manual page 32 - In order to playback video from your iPod/iPhone (if compatible), you MUST have a special combination USB/RCA composite video cable (available for purchase from Apple). Once the cable is
connected to your iPod/iPhone, plug in the other end into both the
RCA jacks and the USB port.....I am not sure why USB has anything to do with videos in this case.

sgt1411: i understand the basic of red/white/yellow....my cable is a 3.5mm-to-RED/WHITE/YELLOW (for both audio and video)...my portable DVD player has a designated A/V out (I use the DVD player just for testing, not that I am trying to play DVD from the player back to MFT, it would be stupid as my DVD player already has a monitor)..something like this http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-3-5mm-R...0Q/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1303079020&sr=8-14

i am not testing any iPhone or iPod products as i am anti-Apple!

According to this site (http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2006/11/16/five-zune-secrets-you-need-to-know.html) you have to swap the colors to make it work.

...and I'm with you on being anti-apple

Back